Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98se Starting In Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lorilee86

lorilee86

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:24 AM

I have a computer that still has Windows98 SE on it, but for some reason it only starts in Safe Mode. It tells me that there is a Master Boot Record Error. Can you help me get this system back on the right track. My kids use it for their school work and we need this computer back up.

I am running AVG on it and have run it in Safe Mode but there is no viruses detected.

HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:01 AM

when win 98se boots up it does a Registry check ON boot up to look for the last known good configuration and win 98se will do the safe mode start up to protect itself

so, a thought; when it starts to boot up, as it boots up press repeatedly the F8 key to throw it INTO safe mode ; when the dialogue box appears to choose which mode; try then to select NORMAL mode and see if it will let you

if it will only accept safe mode run a scan disc , preferably in scan disc 'normal' mode

of interest, when did this start and have you downloaded any riskey emails of done any P2P stuff on it

the more info as to the background to this will help please

is it on dial up or broadband?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users