Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 vinnyd

vinnyd

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:50 AM

Again, newb here. OK, got everything ready to go. I know that cooling is very important, especially if I decide to overclock things. So far my build has 6 fans; two on the mobo, one on the PSU, one on the CPU, one on the Video card, and a variable case fan. There is room for another case fan but do I really need that? It will be noisy enough.TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:15 PM

You should be fine i would finish it up and if you need one add it later

Are you finished putting your comp together?

Edited by Lucky23, 30 December 2007 - 12:17 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

I like to see two case fans, one in bottom of the front to draw cool air in, and one of the upper rear of the case to exhaust the air. All those fans won't make a great difference if you are not exchanging the hot air for cooler air.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 vinnyd

vinnyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:50 PM

Luck23:
Don't have the parts yet. Just reading everything I can to be ready to do the job right. You folks are very helpful. Thanks.
VR
Vinny D

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:46 PM

I use 2 separate intakes for my systems. 1 takes in cooler outside air from the side of the case directly into my CPU cooler, the other takes in cooler outside air over my hard drives at the front bottom of the case. The exhaust (which should balance the intake) is achieved by the PSU fan and a blowhole cut into the top of the case (since heat rises). Also, some folks advocate "positive pressure" to keep dust out of the case - which is usually achieved by having more air blowing in than is blowing out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 vinnyd

vinnyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:59 PM

Lucky23:
It's now assembled. I haven't turnd it on yet but everything is connected: keyboard, mouse, monitor plus all the internals; HDD, DVD, Video card, CPU, PSU all w/ nine fans! What is the next step? Wht should I see hen I turn it on? I have VISTA. When do I install it? Really am a newb!
VR
Vinny D

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:04 PM

Turn on the computer and enter the bios menu. This will do a few things one give you time to get your Vista cd in the DVD rom drive, two to make sure all of your drives are recognized, and three to select your DVD rom drive as the primary boot device. Once you have completed all of this its time to F10 (save all settings and exit) It should re-boot from your vista CD and you will be on your way. Are you Using SATA or IDE? Depending on how the SATA is set up in the bios you may have some settings to change if you are using SATA drives.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 vinnyd

vinnyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:19 PM

Sneakycyber:
SATA HDD, but DVD is IDE.
Thanks

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:35 PM

Give the vista install a whirl if it does not detect your HDD you will have to enable IDE emulation in your bios. Check your owners manual for the SATA setup process. IF you need help post back I can look up your manual online.

Edit: I will need the Make and model of your Motherboard.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 January 2008 - 04:35 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#10 vinnyd

vinnyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

You're a good guy, thanks. My mobo is XFX 680i LT SLI. I am loading Vista now. So far, o good! Its expanding files, 32%. Sue takes awhile.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:12 PM

If your past selecting the HDD then you should be ok from here. Let us know if you run into a problem.. Congratulations on your build :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

#12 vinnyd

vinnyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

Sneaky:
Vista is running. Guess I'm OK. Curious though, I have 4GB (4 one gig sticks) of RAM, but VISTA shows only 2.814GB? Why i that?

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:33 PM

Check out this article from Micro$oft.

Chad Mockensturm 

#14 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

ah, the murder of the 32 bit operating systems....

and at once time someone said that PCs will never need more than 640kb of RAM....

You would have needed to have gotten a 64-bit version of Vista to detect all of that RAM for sure. Most computers have a limit of about 4gb of memory because there is only so much memory allocation.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#15 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:15 AM

Also, just for future reference, it's not the amount of fans you have, it is the way they are set up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users