Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Folder Properties not working (XP)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:31 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have just rebuilt my computer, and seem be having a few problems. What's new huh? I'll post my issues separately.

This particular issue has to do with getting the properties of a folder to come up. when in Windows Exploder (My Computer) and I highlight a folder, then do a RMB and select properties, nothing happens. There are no errors, no nothing. My first thought was permissions, but I am an admin. In fact the same thing happens logged in on the administrator account.

Is anyone familiar with this? Do you know how to fix this. If so, can you explain to me, in detail, how to fix the problem. As my login suggests, I know very little when it comes to figuring out OS related problems.

As for what I have installed on my computer.

XP Pro w/ SP1 & Critical updates up to SP2. SP2 is not installed, because of another problem.

Anti-virus/Firewall - Norton Internet Security 2003

ATI Radeon 9200 Graphics Display Driver (XP version from ATI web page)

Logitech iTouch & MouseWare for Wireless Keyboard and mouse.

The computer itself is, forgive me if I get some of the terminology wrong.
Self Built
AMD 1GB
1 Gig Ram
Radeon 9200 Video Card
Couple of hard drives 120GB & 40GB
Sony DVD +/- RW
DVD Rom

I think that's everything anyone would need to know to see what I'm working with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something, and wonder what I'm here after.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:45 PM

First off, congrats on the rebuild. Some people would not even attempt that.

For the sake of argument, if you have the computer up and running, then all of the hardware is finished. This is one of the biggest obstacles to overcome, so once again-great job!

Now to your specific problems on seeing the properties of a folder. If it can not be done as admin, then have you tried it in Safe Mode? It is likely a setting that needs to be changed, but this is usually associated with additional software that has been installed.

Lets narrow the possibilites of this. Have you installed anything (outside of your XP updates), since your rebuild? Also, has there been a time that it did work, but suddenly it stopped working?

When you right-click any folder, what are some of the other selections that you have available?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:21 PM

First, thank you... the rebuild was forced upon me due to a failed registry file that kept me from booting up (BSOD), what a pain.

Yes, I have installed other programs, but this was after I noticed the problem. I actually noticed the problem while coping data back onto my machine, after the rebuild. I wanted to compare the amount of folders/files copied from my recovery disk to verify I got everything, before moving onto the next disk. However, by then I had installed Norton, and the critical updates, and the other things I mentioned.

A little on the recovery disk, this was not a result of a 'Back Up' process. I was damn lucky to get to the data. I installed Win2000 (which is what I was running) onto a blank hard drive, loaned to me by a co-worker, and managed to access the hard drive with all my data. It came to about 36 gigs of info, WHEW.. I burned what data I needed to backup onto a few DVD's.

As far as I know, it has never worked.

As for what is listed on the menu when I do a RMB, I get the standard options (Open, copy, cut, paste, etc.) I'm not at the machine right now, so I can't say for exact. The thing is, I can get the properties if I go to the file level, just not the folders. Oh, and I can get the properties on the root drive as well, both C & D (two separate drives, no partitions.

Thanks,

Jim

#4 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:24 PM

Double post, deleted contents....

Edited by OS_Challenged, 28 February 2005 - 04:26 PM.

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:39 PM

There are a couple of things I would like for you to try out when you have the chance.

Right-click the START button and select explore. From this window, right-click a folder, and tell me if you can select properties. Also on the START explore window, click tools -> folder options -> view tab -> check 'restore previous folder windows at logon' -> Apply -> OK. You may have to restart the computer for this change to take effect.

Right-click one of your folders and select make shortcut. Right-click the shortcut, and see if you can select properties.

#6 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:51 PM

I'll give it a try, and get back to you. It'll probably be this evening, after 5:30ish MST.

One other question, how do you start XP PRo in safe mode? I guess I could look it up, but since I'm here.

Jim

#7 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:07 PM

I'll give it a try, and get back to you. It'll probably be this evening, after 5:30ish MST.

One other question, how do you start XP PRo in safe mode? I guess I could look it up, but since I'm here.

Jim

while the machine is booting, after your manufacturer's logos go off, begin pressing "F8"
you have to be quick, as your machine might be too fast to go over to XP's normal boot
menu... if you don't catch it in time, just reset your machine and try again.

--rex
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

#8 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:13 PM

Ok, I was wondering if it was the same. I tried it, but must have been to slow joe.

At least on Win2000 they tell you how to get there.

Thanks...

Edited by OS_Challenged, 28 February 2005 - 05:13 PM.

#9 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:47 PM

Well, I think I found the fix for this.

I decided to do some more searching for this issue at home, much faster connection. I came across this link (hope it works)

http://forum.osnn.net/archive/index.php/t-3601.html

In a nutshell it was the "World Wide Web Publishing" service (WWWP). It was stuck in a 'Starting' mode. Notice this is 'Starting' and not 'Started', it never finished starting.

I followed the instructions on the the web page above, but this did not work. On the properties form, of this service, I noticed a dependencies tab. Looking at this I find some services that were dependent on this service, so I set these services to 'Automatic' (several were set to Manual), and then started these services. Eventually the WWWP service started.

I rebooted, checked the WWWP service, which had started. Then went to 'Windows Exploder' and I am now able to check the properties for this folder.

Moderator - I noticed a lot of forums where this same question was asked and there was no answer. Is there anyway you can make sure this post is always available?

#10 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 05:55 PM

Moderator - I noticed a lot of forums where this same question was asked and there was no answer. Is there anyway you can make sure this post is always available?

That may prove to be difficult, but you can always find this message by clicking 'My Topics'. The server keeps all of your messages saved.

Thanks for bringing to my attention that there are some unanswered threads. Now that I am back from some very unexpected time away from BC, I will look into these and do my best to answer them.

#11 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:18 PM

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, right after my last reply my computer took another serious dump, motherboard problems (When it rains, it pours).

:thumbsup: JEservices, I did not mean to imply there were unanswered questions on this forum, I meant in general (on the web as a whole). My thinking is that if this thread is kept around, never deleted, then it will be there for someone else when they need it. Since I never found a true WHOLE answer to my question, on the web, it would be nice to have this one available. If you can't do it, oh well, it was just a thought.

Thanks again for everything.

Jim :flowers:

#12 flyboydave

flyboydave

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:43 PM

Well, I think I found the fix for this.

I decided to do some more searching for this issue at home, much faster connection. I came across this link (hope it works)

http://forum.osnn.net/archive/index.php/t-3601.html

In a nutshell it was the "World Wide Web Publishing" service (WWWP). It was stuck in a 'Starting' mode. Notice this is 'Starting' and not 'Started', it never finished starting.

I followed the instructions on the the web page above, but this did not work. On the properties form, of this service, I noticed a dependencies tab. Looking at this I find some services that were dependent on this service, so I set these services to 'Automatic' (several were set to Manual), and then started these services. Eventually the WWWP service started.

I rebooted, checked the WWWP service, which had started. Then went to 'Windows Exploder' and I am now able to check the properties for this folder.

I get this same bleeping problem all the time, but there is a much easier way to work around it. You don't have to mess with the services applet at all, and don't have to restart anything.

Just open the task manager (either by CTRL-Shift-Esc or by right-clicking the task bar, pick "task manager") and kill the process named inetinfo.exe. Inetinfo.exe is the actual file that is trying to start when the www service - they are one and the same. Since the www service is still trying to start, once the inetinfo is killed, it will allow the www process to start, and then inetinfo will automatically restart. The funny thing is that if you're already tried to check properties of a bunch of folders, they'll all pop open at once, so it appears that the boxes are actually being opened, just not displayed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users