Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Logix69

Logix69

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:41 AM

hi i currently have a amd athlon xp 64 2600+ and i have been looking at upgrading to a amd athlon 64 dual core 5000+

below is details of my mother board, it says below max cpu 2200 mhz so i think that that is what it can take or is that what i have any help would be greatfull many thanks

This is what i have found if my motherboard cannot take the new processor any opions on this package would also be greatfull and help full cheers

amd athlon 5000+ bundle

Property Value
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model A7N8X-LA
Version Rev 1.xx
Serial Number X312345678

Chipset Vendor Nvidia Corp
Chipset Model nForce2 AGP Controller
South Bridge nForce2 ISA Bridge
SMBus Nvidia Corp nForce MCP-T SMBus Controller @4300h
SMBus Nvidia Corp nForce MCP-T SMBus Controller @B000h

CPU AMD Athlon XP
Cpu Socket Socket A
Processor Upgrade Slot A
Max CPU Speed 2200 MHz

System Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP

OnBoard devices
Ethernet (Enabled)
Sound (Enabled)

Memory Summary
Location System board or motherboard
Maximum Capacity 1536 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None
Use System memory
Maximum Memory Module Size 4096 MBytes

Edited by Logix69, 30 December 2007 - 04:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:17 AM

For a list of CPU's your board can use, go HERE. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:14 AM

thanks for that my board doesn't surport the new processor im after, cheers could any one reconmend a motherboard and amd processor for upto 120 i have found a amd 5000+ and board for around 120 but dont know much about it any feedback would be greatfull many thanks :thumbsup:

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:16 AM

I don't know what the conversion is for US to British money is, but I found THIS at newegg.com, they have a combo deal below the picture which includes a processor. I like Gigabyte boards, I've owned a couple and they've been good to me. I also prefer as many PCI slots as I can get, because of the cards I put in, and I've found that if you go with Intel socket 775 you have a larger choice of boards... :thumbsup:

edit: I forgot something...

Edited by Wildabeast, 30 December 2007 - 07:17 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:18 AM

hi thanks for your help wildabeast but the motherboard is a little out of my price range as i have only got $230 to $240 for a mother board and processor but i have found one on newegg that is just like what i am looking for.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor
GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard

all for $174.98.98 which works out to be 87.79

which means that i could also get some more memory as mine will not be compatiable with a new motherboard

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory 24.57

this is the link to it could you let me know what you think please.. cheers

click me

the ram is at the bottom as well

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:35 AM

That looks like a nice little setup to me.... I like that it has 4 PCI slots :thumbsup:
Ronald Reagan

#7 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:42 AM

i think i will go for the above setup thanks for your help wildabeast :thumbsup: if any one can come up with a better setup for under 120 - then i would be greatfull cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users