Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic Card Bus Type Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rebellion534

rebellion534

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:41 AM

im trying to install an AGP type video card into my computer, but the problem is my motherboard only have PCI and PCIe slots, this is my current video card >>> NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 and im trying to replace it, i think this video card is built-in (im not sure), my question is, is there an adapter thing-like, that will allow me to put my AGP graphic card to a PCI/PCIe slot? (if that is even possible) haha, or do i have to change my motherboard? or just buy a PCI video card? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:33 AM

The AGP bus is four times as fast as a PCI bus, so you don't want to go there. I would go for a PCI-E card as it is the best way to go...at the moment.

What motherboard do you have?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rebellion534

rebellion534
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:46 AM

thank you for your reply sir, but i already have the AGP graphic card :-( which is a mistake that i have done. ( i think so)

im not really sure what motherboard do i have but,
as I can see, there are 2 slots at the lower part which i believe is the PCI Slot, the pattern looks like this [=====|==] and it is white.

the other one is an orange slot, the pattern is like this [==|==========] it is long, and there is a snap/lock thing at the end. im not sure
if this is an AGP but, my AGP card wont fit in it. :-(

i tried to google, they said that the AGP slot is colored maroon.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:34 AM

Repeating...no, you cannot force an AGP video card into a PCI-E slot :thumbsup:.

Simple solution, as suggested, is to get a PCI-E video card, if you don't want to use onboard video. You are correct in assuming that you have an onboard video chip, it's a popular chip on a number of motherboards.

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:31 PM

thank you for your reply sir, but i already have the AGP graphic card :-( which is a mistake that i have done. ( i think so)

im not really sure what motherboard do i have but,
as I can see, there are 2 slots at the lower part which i believe is the PCI Slot, the pattern looks like this [=====|==] and it is white.

the other one is an orange slot, the pattern is like this [==|==========] it is long, and there is a snap/lock thing at the end. im not sure
if this is an AGP but, my AGP card wont fit in it. :-(

i tried to google, they said that the AGP slot is colored maroon.

If you download SIW it will list the motherboard. Once you have that information you can google the motherboard and find out exactly what PCI, PCI-E slots you have and where they are located. If you have problems let us know and we will help, but include the motherboard information please.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 rebellion534

rebellion534
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:17 PM

Repeating...no, you cannot force an AGP video card into a PCI-E slot :flowers:.

Simple solution, as suggested, is to get a PCI-E video card, if you don't want to use onboard video. You are correct in assuming that you have an onboard video chip, it's a popular chip on a number of motherboards.

Louis

thank you for the reply sir. :trumpet:

If you download SIW it will list the motherboard. Once you have that information you can google the motherboard and find out exactly what PCI, PCI-E slots you have and where they are located. If you have problems let us know and we will help, but include the motherboard information please.

this is the result of the SIW program, its amazing! haha

Property Value
Manufacturer ELITEGROUP
Model MCP61SM-GM
Version 1.0

South Bridge nForce 430 (MCP61) LPC Bridge

CPU AMD Sempron 3800+
Cpu Socket Socket AM2 [Socket AM2 ]
Processor Upgrade
Max CPU Speed 3000 MHz

System Slots 2 PCI

Memory Summary
Location System board or motherboard
Maximum Capacity 8192 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None
Use System memory
Maximum Memory Module Size 4096 MBytes

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

according to the result, i dont have an AGP slot.
thank you sir for the help, guess ill just get a new video card :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:56 PM

http://www.e4allupgraders.info/dir1/mother...CP61SM-GM.shtml

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users