Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Wireless Card To Get?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:11 PM

My friend currently has a Dell Dimension E521 Desktop computer and he wants a new wireless card. The one hes using now is some crappy USB thing from best buy. He losses connection all the time and his internet goes real slow. I figured an internal PCI one would help him out. Also, I don't know if this would make a difference but he has some sort of DSL and his router is on the other side of his house.

I was looking at this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833166012
He needs his to be compatible with vista. One concern I had with it is someone posted about having 3gb of ram or more in a few computers and it wouldn't work, but I thought this person might just be 1.an idiot or 2. a prankster.

So any suggestions or help please?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:39 PM

He is using an 802.11 g router? He could use a repeater to increase his range and signal strength I have never used one though. Or switch to a more powerful router such as Draft N. IMO changing wireless cards may not solve his problem. If he is set on changing the wireless card the one you linked to would probably work better since it has an external antennae. He can also upgrade the external antennae to a high gain unit.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:46 PM

You've got to take the recommendations on NewEgg with a grain of salt most of the times. Especially the ones ripping the product.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:48 AM

The reviewer complained of the inability of the card to work with both 3gB and 4gB of RAM - but also stated it was only tested with a 2gB and two 4gB systems. I wonder why that is?

Also, difficulties with 3 and 4 gB of RAM on systems is usually linked to the ability of the motherboard (and particularly the drive controllers) to make use of the added RAM. If that much RAM is an issue (as it was with me), then I'd suggest either getting a motherboard that can deal with this, or installing a 64 bit OS (as I did). Keeping a system with 4 gB of RAM may or may not work - but the errors can be sporadic and difficult to isolate.

So, the card not working with 3 and 4 gB systems could be a card issue, a mobo issue, or an installation error.

Have you checked his signal strength with the USB dongle thingie? If it's a low signal strength issue, then there's some steps to take to improve that that won't require new equipment. Realigning the antennas and removing any electrical items from the areas in/around/and between the router and the computer may improve things.

I'd suspect that the PCI card would work a tad bit better than the USB - but other members here would disagree with this, so don't use it as the sole criteria for deciding. The external, movable antenna could help with reception issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users