Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Won't Boot W/ Wd My Book Plugged In Via Usb

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 justsometallguy

justsometallguy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

I recently got a Western Digital 1 TB My Book for backing up my desktop and laptop. I have reformatted it from the default FAT32 to NTFS. I have no problem transferring files to and from it, but when it is plugged into any USB port in the back of my HP desktop, the startup freezes on the screen where you can hit F1 for Setup or F10 for Recovery. I read around some and everybody says to make sure to change the boot order, however, since my desktop actually freezes on that screen, I can't go to Setup to change the order. If I unplug the My Book and restart, I have no problems booting to Windows or entering Setup (but obviously there is no point to this when the My Book isn't plugged in since I can't select it in the boot order). Any ideas on how I can change the boot order when the My Book is plugged in? Or is this even the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:46 AM

Have you tried plugging the drive into the other USB ports on your computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:13 AM

Could you provide us with the make and model of the system?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:49 AM

Check your BIOS for USB Boot and you need to disable that. Many motherboards are set up to boot from USB ports. If you disable it entirely, it should never search that port.

Motherboard Brand and Model number would help too. Or the manufacturer of the PC and its model number.

DR

#5 justsometallguy

justsometallguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:45 PM

Thanks to both of you for trying to help me out. I have tried plugging it into different USB ports and I have the same results...it freezes on the HP splash screen where you can hit F1 Setup or F10 Recovery. Here is the summary from the System Information tool in Windows:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 061
System Model DF253A-ABA A250N
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2600 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2600 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 3.06, 5/8/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.49 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Does this help? I'm not sure of a better way to find all the model #'s and everything for my system. It's basically an HP Pavilion I got about 4 years ago and I have updated the power supply, video card, RAM, and CD/DVD drives. I don't see how these additions would cause my problem though. I was advised to check if there is a USB Boot in the Bios and to turn it off. I didn't see anything like that for this PC. Any other thoughts? If there is any other info that would be helpful, please let me know and I'll do my best to get it on here.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

I suspect the HP computer BIOS is set to boot from USB which you don't want.
The errors you mention occur well after booting.

You need to get into BIOS. Read HP instructions to find out how to get into BIOS. HP/Compaq computers require pressing F10, most other computers require F2. Once you get there, navigate all the menus with the cursor till you hit boot order and make sure to set it to your CD rom first, then the harddrive, then, if you really want to boot from USB, to USB.

Also if your ocmputer is anything like the Compaqs, you only have a few seconds to respond as it's booting, so watch the screen carefully or you'll miss the critical point and the BIOS entry.

Edit:
one other way to enter BIOS on HP computers is CTRL+ALT+ESC keys as the machine is starting up.

Edited by tos226, 30 December 2007 - 08:40 PM.

#7 justsometallguy

justsometallguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:02 PM

That's what I figured. The problem I have is that when the My Book is plugged in, I can't enter the BIOS. The PC freezes at the HP splash screen where you can hit F1 for Setup or F10 for Recovery. I unplugged the My Book and went back into the BIOS without a problem, and the My Book doesn't appear in the list for the Boot Order, so it does me no good. Also, I changed one of the options for the boot so it shows the "status" or whatever and I took a picture of where it freezes. (see the attached pic) I also tried turning off the Plug & Play option in the BIOS and that didn't help. Any other ideas? Thanks for everyone's help so far. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:28 AM

Maybe this is a power supply problem.
I have seen that happen once before with a printer on a system with an inadequate power supply.
The way I resolved it was to install a 4 port PCI USB card.

Food for thought
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:36 PM

Well, if it's locking up on detection, then it's not working right. I'd suggest returning the drive to W-D for a replacement.

Western Digital has been very good to me when it comes to warranty service on my 500 gB My Book. A visit to their website should allow you to request an RMA and detailed instructions on how to do it.

Additionally, if you've got data on the current drive, you can request that they send you the new drive first (so you can save the data). They'll do this if you give them a credit card number to hold - then will delete the card number (and not charge you) when you return the old drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 justsometallguy

justsometallguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:06 AM

So I went back to Best Buy over the weekend and exchanged it for a new one. I get home, plug it in, same problem. Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks to everyone so far for the help!

#11 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:29 AM

The fact that you say you don't see the hard drive in BIOS is normal. You will only see a USB or removable device. Can you take a screen shot of the boot order screen?

Almost everyone seems to agree that it could be the Boot Order as well.

DR

#12 justsometallguy

justsometallguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

Here are some screen shots of the BIOS and boot setup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 gholmes

gholmes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:34 PM

I was having exactly the same problem. Finally disabled legacy USB in the BIOS and all was well.

#14 GoTGuy

GoTGuy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:13 PM

I was having exactly the same problem. Finally disabled legacy USB in the BIOS and all was well.

Thank you SO much gholmes. I've been having this same issue ever since I upgraded to a new computer. I disabled USB Legacy and my computer boots up just fine with my My Book connected and powered on. Actually seems like my computer boots up faster, too.

Thanks Again
:thumbsup:

#15 charlie69

charlie69

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:22 PM

I'm having the same problem with a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP.

It appears the drive is being read during boot, since the light flashes.

But there doesn't appear to be any way of disabling booting from USB. My boot order only defines IDE-1, the others are set to disabled.

Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users