Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Few Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kris306dt

kris306dt

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

Hi there people, i'm new to the forum - And not very wise with computers. I hope someone here can help me.

Right, my main problem is that my USB ports don't work. I have tried to update the drivers but 'nothing is found. I have tried to remove the USB's from the hard drive but that just crashes my laptop. When i try and install another peice of hardware, i get an error message along the lines of - ' The hardware could not be installed correctly - the data is invalid'

I can tell you more details about this if you ask.

Secondly, my Broadband internet has recently gone very slow ( its a bt homehub ) i've heard a lot of bad things about the homehub but it has served me very well for the last 3 months and has always appeared to be running 'quickly'. I have got numberous programs such as 'avg' and 'spybot' running and 'Eusing free registry cleaner'

Please someone help :thumbsup: I dont know what to do.

Thanks.

Kris

P.s I'm running xp home - i dont know how to edit the bit in my profile :S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:21 PM

What kind of computer is this?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 kris306dt

kris306dt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:51 PM

Hi there. Its a compaq presario c300 c310ea laptop.

Also, i have just downloaded the chipset drivers and re-installed them, this has made no difference to the usb ports.

With regards to the internet, it is no faster if the adsl cable is plugged in rather than using the wireless.

My broadband is an 8mb/s line but is only running 130kb/s download and 339kb/s upload with a ping of 36ms.

Thankyou.

Kris

#4 kris306dt

kris306dt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:04 AM

Ok, just a quick update, since beins asleep and turning my router and laptop off for the night the internet has sorted itself out and is now running

download: 3661kb/s

upload: 370kb/s

Kris.

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

The thing with the Internet is normal, sometimes the internet that your IP is providing may be a bit slow for a day or two because they may be having technical issues etc. :thumbsup: But, this may not always be the case, it is just one of the big possibilities. Also, you said that you use a registry cleaner, just some advice, registry cleaners say that they increase the computers performance and clean up clutter but they can cause serious damage to your computer causing all sorts of issues and you may even have to do a clean install.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:31 PM

If your USB is still giving you trouble, go to Device Manager and look for any yellow exclamation points by the USB controllers
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 kris306dt

kris306dt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

There are no yellow exclamation marks there.

The usb's pick up the fact that something is plugged in but when it tries to install, it takes ages and then says 'the hardware could not be installed properly' 'the data is invalid' :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users