Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode How Do I Get There ?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Copeland

Copeland

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:37 PM

I'm a newbie here as well as (more or less) to being online so I fell into the trap of Virus protect :inlove: and I did go get the info on how to use the SmithFraudFix here (also did the download for it, so I'm all set in that reguards) my problem is how do I get to start my pc in the safe mode .... The instructions on the page where I got the download here http://www.beepingcomputer.com/froums/topic98219.html decribes a way that doesn't work on my pc... I have windows 2000 XP home SP2 does this make any difference in the way I need to start my puter than the way its descrided in the article ? mmmmm I don't know if this should be said here or not, but someone needs to hack into vriprotects site's and cut them off at the knee's :trumpet: :thumbsup: Thanks for any help I may get from anyone & have a happy and safe New Year ! !

Copeland :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:44 PM

The link you've posted is incorrect

How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method

Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:11 PM

For whatever reason, my system is set up strangely to get to Safe Mode. It takes more than just F8 and if my fingers aren't fast enough, I have to start over again, and again, til I get it. It works like a charm. Pay particular attention to the last instruction. Those who rebooted from the normal Start menu ended up having to rearrange all their desktop icons and/or just looped back to Safe Mode.

* Download BootSafe and save it to your Desktop (or any location of your choice)
* Double click the BootSafe icon to start the program
* Select which Safe Mode you wish to boot - Minimal, Networking (typical), or Repair
* Click the Reboot button
* Once you have booted into Safe Mode, you can perform any actions needed, such as scanning for viruses, spyware, adware, malware or repairing a system component
* When you have completed your tasks, simply run BootSafe again and select the Normal Restart option and click the Reboot button and your computer will reboot in Normal Mode

http://www.superadblocker.com/bootsafe.html

I keep my BootSafe in a Tools folder in My Documents, and have a shortcut to it in my start menu.

#4 Copeland

Copeland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

The link you've posted is incorrect

How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method

Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Thanks for the advice only thing is my new pc (rebuilt) doesn't boot up like my old one, my old one would in fact have the things your talking about listed when you first boot up. But not this one it does have a small list that really goes by to fast to even read though lol However now you have me wondering if I should do what that link (that you say is incorrect) said to do. How could it be incorrect ? Thats how I got here to begin with, Norton Security gave me the link to begin with, not that I'm trying to argue about it I just want to know if I should follow the directions that were (are) on it to get rid of Virprotect ? I did follow your link to, How to start Windows in Safe Mode ....... Thank you ! Now all I need to know is I should follow the directions that were on that link page to get rid of Virprotect ? aaahhhh I don't quite know how to explain this but if you click on that link from here it won't take you to it but if you'll type it in your address window it'll take you to it. Thanks again for your help I hope you'll, help me out with the rest of what I'm asking about to, as I said I'm a newbie to just about all this lol

Robert

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

Hi again , actually I meant the link was broken as you have now stated. On closer look bleeping and forum are spelled wrong. But now I know where your going. Here is the link that will work
I also wanted to be sure you meant Windows XP (Also DO NOT force safe mode for any reason)
How to remove VirusProtect or Virus Protect (Removal Instructions)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/98219/how-to-remove-virusprotect-or-virus-protect-removal-instructions/

If you cannot get to safe mode run Superantispyware first in normal then the link in normal.
After some things are removed you may be able to try them again in safe mode. Either way post back the ScanLogs.

Download SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save to desktop .. DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.

Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
DO NOT run yet.
Now reboot into Safe Mode:(If you still cannot access Safe Mode then go on to the next step)....
NOW Scan with SUPEROpen from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.

If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Edited by boopme, 30 December 2007 - 08:09 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:25 AM

To boot in Safe Mode, press F8 continuously RIGHT before the Windows scrollbar appear. (The green bar that moves across the screen as the Windows starts up. I had problem at first as well, but I tried it that way and it worked.

Good luck.

Lt

Bleepingcomputer Malware Response Team

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please do NOT PM anyone with HJT logs, read this and post your logs here.

#7 Copeland

Copeland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:04 PM

Hi again , actually I meant the link was broken as you have now stated. On closer look bleeping and forum are spelled wrong. But now I know where your going. Here is the link that will work
I also wanted to be sure you meant Windows XP (Also DO NOT force safe mode for any reason)
How to remove VirusProtect or Virus Protect (Removal Instructions)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/98219/how-to-remove-virusprotect-or-virus-protect-removal-instructions/

If you cannot get to safe mode run Superantispyware first in normal then the link in normal.
After some things are removed you may be able to try them again in safe mode. Either way post back the ScanLogs.

Download SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save to desktop .. DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.

Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
DO NOT run yet.
Now reboot into Safe Mode:(If you still cannot access Safe Mode then go on to the next step)....
NOW Scan with SUPEROpen from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.

If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Hey thanks ur right of course my spelling leaves much to be desired lol and I really I'm a newbie in so many ways its not funny (just a old hippie trying to catch up with the world :flowers: .... I apperate all the help your giving me, but I really don't want to screw up the pc by doing something I don't know about and turning it into a desk top paper weight either lol but to get to my point yes I have Windows XP with SP 2 ... I also have Norton (And I don't know why it didn't catch it (the virus) as its not a free program, in fact there the ones that told me about this site) anyway what I can gather out of this is I need to go and do this download of free SUPERAnitSpy do not open it yet but get the updates for it first.... Now shouldn't I cut off Norton at some point ? Won't those 2 (Superantispyware & Norton conflict with each other if I don't ? ) And do you think just running SUPERAntiSpyware will be better than doing the SmithFraudFix ? I don't mind saying it makes me a little more than nervous to be playing around with the running systems of Windows lol And see this will show you how much I know about PC's, about what all you can and can't do lol How do I just get a copy of what you said to do with the download of SUPERAntiSpyware without copying this whole page surely there must be a way, I just don't know how :thumbsup: Thanks for all the help here belive me I'm passing on the name of this site to everyone I know ! ! !

Robert

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:18 PM

Hello Copeland. You are OK to run all of these. If you want to disable Norton while running these that's fine. I believe you can right click the Norton icon on the system tray (by clock) amd select disable. No one product is ever 100 % so sometimetimes you will needothers. Actually I had a couple more for you to run. But seeing as you had some difficulty i figured start with these...Dig It !
Run those I gave you VirusProtect removal then Super,they will work with you machine. Post back the logs please and we can see how your doing. Let us know if the popups stop and machine is running better.
We appreciate your coming to BC.

#9 Copeland

Copeland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:49 PM

Hello Copeland. You are OK to run all of these. If you want to disable Norton while running these that's fine. I believe you can right click the Norton icon on the system tray (by clock) amd select disable. No one product is ever 100 % so sometimetimes you will needothers. Actually I had a couple more for you to run. But seeing as you had some difficulty i figured start with these...Dig It !
Run those I gave you VirusProtect removal then Super,they will work with you machine. Post back the logs please and we can see how your doing. Let us know if the popups stop and machine is running better.
We appreciate your coming to BC.

:huh: :trumpet: yeah its up and running again :inlove: I tryed the SUPERAntiSpyware in normal mode it didn't work they (Superantispyware) had there full version for a limited time for free but as I said it didn't work ..... So I went into Safe Mode (yup finally got there) and used the SmithFruadFix not all the steps were there that I needed to get thur it but enough were..... Sorry but I'm not about to post what all it got out of there...... As some of the sites were of a personlly nature :thumbsup: But Thank You SO much....... :flowers: :huh:

Robert

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:04 PM

Glad to hear it ...
Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
Click "OK".
Click the "More Options" Tab.
Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

#11 Copeland

Copeland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:31 PM

Glad to hear it ...
Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
Click "OK".
Click the "More Options" Tab.
Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Thanks so much ! ! I'll do that ..... Now another question sorry about being such a pain ...... I have dail up (till the contract expires at least lol) So the dail up serivce I use is Juno so instead of clicking on Interent Explorer and going when I want to get online I have to use juno to get online first, but the trouble I'm having starts before that, I just don't know if you need all that info in order to figure out what I'm going to say here..... Anywho when I first log on before getting online (this is a shared pc set-up) I of course have to log on my side then the desk top loads, Now what I'm having trouble with is how long it takes the desk top to load it seems to be getting slower, I know I've added some programs like yahoo IM and MSN IM etc. and the other person using the pc has done the same thing... Some of the programs on desktop don't really need to be on there I'm sure (Since there not used that much) is this the trouble ? And what do I do to fix it ?
Hey thanks really you've been a big help ! Hope you had a great New Years !

Robert :thumbsup:

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

I'll send the cavalry !!

#13 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:32 PM

Uhhhhh, I'm not the cavalry :thumbsup: but I am on dialup and at one time used NetZero, which is probably similar to what Juno has now. The problem with NetZero and similar services, paid or free, is that they require you to download their software and force you to go through their page to get onto the internet. This third-party software usually results in major bloat on your computer, which can then contribute to slow desktop loading.

Have you taken a look to see what runs at startup? You can access the programs info through your Control Panel (I forget how to do it in XP now that I'm on Vista) and the services through the Task Manager. You might well have far more running than you want or need. To uninstall unwanted programs, go to the add/remove page in your Control Panel.

ETA link at mvps.org for How To: Determine what Services are running in Windows XP, as well as lots of other helpful info on that page.

Edited by Dialer, 01 January 2008 - 07:13 PM.

#14 Copeland

Copeland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:20 PM

Uhhhhh, I'm not the cavalry :trumpet: but I am on dialup and at one time used NetZero, which is probably similar to what Juno has now. The problem with NetZero and similar services, paid or free, is that they require you to download their software and force you to go through their page to get onto the internet. This third-party software usually results in major bloat on your computer, which can then contribute to slow desktop loading.

Have you taken a look to see what runs at startup? You can access the programs info through your Control Panel (I forget how to do it in XP now that I'm on Vista) and the services through the Task Manager. You might well have far more running than you want or need. To uninstall unwanted programs, go to the add/remove page in your Control Panel.

ETA link at mvps.org for How To: Determine what Services are running in Windows XP, as well as lots of other helpful info on that page.

Well thanks Dailer cavarlry or not I'm sure you know way more than I do about any of this as I'm a just a newbie to all this :flowers: Past getting online I'm lost :inlove: that means I don't know dillie about the systems or how there run lol But thanks for the advice and help ! ! And thats kinda what I firgued (there software) I'm sure thats my main problem whats so interesting to me is Juno and Norton have this deal where if you use something Juno has called Speedband you supose to be able to get to sites faster (drawn back if you set the speed to fast you'd better not count on looking at any pictures lol) but you won't be able to download anything faster ( :huh: huh ? but thats the way it works.. another feature of having Speedband is, you get Norton spyware, e-mail protection, etc... for free (not that it kept me from getting the provirus program downloaded to my PC :thumbsup: ) So really what my trouble is when I log on I see a lot of programs in my desktop but before I can connect with juno I have to wait on Norton to pop up on my system tray (I hope thats the right word for it) thats really what I was talking about more than anything else. Looking back at what I asked I wasn't quite right in my wording of it... So thanks and have a great New Year !

Robert

#15 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:44 PM

Don't give up yet, Robert. We just need to go one step at a time, and we'll get your startup sped up. :thumbsup:

Since the thread has now gone way OT (off topic) in this forum, why don't you start a new thread in the XP forum, and you and I and others can work through the related problems. How does that sound?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users