Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Doc & Settings - Users & Start Menu Items

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SS313MAN

SS313MAN

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:05 PM

Working with XP Pro here.

I used to be pretty much the only user of my PC ... but I will have some guests around for awhile, so I would like to set up other user accts.

I want to be the only user that has access to ALL programs.(my user acct already has admin privileges). I just want the basics for anyone else.

Other than going thru a tedious cut-copy-paste, drag/drop project between the "All Users" folder & each users folder .....

Is there a simpler way to accomplish this ?.

Better yet ... is there a bigger picture so to speak, that I should be looking into, that would accomplish this & provide peace of mind in other areas as well, such as limit access to files & folders elsewhere ?.

Doing something in Administrative Tools perhaps ?.

I would think having Pro vs Home would offer some advantage in this situation, but I'm not sure(that's why I'm asking).

The easier the better ... even if it requires a 3rd party program

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:39 PM

I don't have XP pro but with what I know you can:
Create a limited account
Turn off its write permissions to folders like WINDOWS and Program Files and read permissions to other users.
Open Start menu folder and delete shortcuts
And to stop them changing system settings log onto that account and lock it up with Group Policy Editor - Start->Run->gpedit.msc (wish I had that in home edition lol)
Tweak it all to your liking.

Be careful not to change system wide restrictions in the group policy editor.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users