Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Windows Root Folders In Win Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 level 42

level 42

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:05 PM

I've been having fun, eh, trying to get a geforce 6200 A-LE vid card to work in my system, NOT!

With some suggestions from geforece gewhiz responders, I changed nforce and dispaly drivers several times but could not get the card to work. Next I found that several versions files of Direct X were seemingly in conflict and may have caused the 6200 to display triangles instead of the normal screens I see with my old geforce mx440SE.

After researching many posts for possible causes, I used a driver extracter to remove the direct x files and installed Direct X 9b... the stuff soon hit the cooling fan so to speak. My system became unbootable, so I loaded the XP cd to repair the OS but it said it could not effect the repair.

With only one system to work with, at the time I thought it best to get back to square one somehow so I reinstalled windows XP pro over the existing installation. That seemed to work...but the control panel add/remove programs showed no programs installed on the system!! I can see all my original files on the hard drive using win explorer but they don't appear in the add/remove programs listing- nothing shows there.

Now I find there are 2 windows folder shown in the root directory. The first one is higher in the alphabetical order close to the 'users' folder and it has only one folder in it -an empty 'system' folder.

The second windows folder is the full deal, all my old files and folders are there but seem to be unrecognized by the add/remove module in control panel. This folder is where its always been at the bottom of the alphabetical list in explorer, unlike the other empty folder that is close the the 'users' folder - near the top of the explorer list.

What should I do to get back my original windows folder? Is it so simple as deleting the new and empty windows\system folders???

Thanks for reading this long tale and offering some helpful guidance.

All the best,
Level 42
Asus A7N8X mobo with latest bios driver
AMD Athlon 1700
1.25 GB pc3200 RAM 400 MHz
Geforce MX 440SE vid card 64 MB Ram
Samsung 80 GB sata 100 HDD dual boot with Win 98SE & Win XP Pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:31 PM

OK, what you have done...has been done before and there is a solution :thumbsup:.

XP FAQ, Two XP Installs On Same Partition - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20 Click on question #20, if the answers are not readily apparent.

I've done this (two installs, 1 partition) and I did not go about my correction in the above manner, but there are many roads to the same point in computing:).

When your system boots, you should be presented with 2 options to boot into. When you boot into the newly installed O/S (with no programs installed), there literally is nothing you can do. All of your programs are installed on the other XP option.

Of course, you could elect to install programs in the new O/S, but it's probably quicker to repair the other, original install. On the other hand, if your problems on the original would not be cured by a repair install, it probably would be best to make the new your only and delete the old, after moving your favorites, email, and other items which might not just be data files.

What I did was to boot into the install I wanted to keep...deleted the Windows folder of the other install...and then just ran a repair install on my XP O/S, which automatically fixed the boot situation (and, in your case, will give you the effect you were striving for).

In any case, your attempt at a repair did not turn out correctly and you still need to do that.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

Post back if you have questions, etc.

Louis

#3 level 42

level 42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:52 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm following the steps offered but still haven't gotten my programs to show in add/remove module of control panel.

Maybe its worth mentioning; this hdd is a dual boot with win98se and Win XP pro. My boot screen offers just those 2 possibilities. My problem is with XP so I did as instructed with your link http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20 and removed the extra windows folder...the system boots as before and my programs all work from the programs menu and desktop shortcuts but nothing shows in the add/remove module.

Micahel Stevens site has a link to Charlie White's excellent article on receovering from an XP Crash, which I'm following up on now. Hopefully I'll get all this sorted out soon.

I appreciate your kind help and good guidance. I'll let you know how this goes and will be happy to hear more from you that can assist da noob in me.

All the best,
Level 42

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:04 AM

If the Add/Remove module is the only aberration...I would suspect file corruption.

Two ways (that I know) to defeat such re system files:

a. Run sfc /scannow, LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

b. Do a repair install of XP.

I would try sfc /scannow first.

There's probably a registry tweak that would also achieve the same result, but I'm not aware of it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users