Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Ad-aware, And A Few Others...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lynch

Lynch

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:47 PM

New to this forum but after cleaning up computer for a week, I've read a lot from this site and I am now totally comitted to not go through another week like this ! Everythings cleaned up and working great but I just installed the free adaware 2007 and scanned twice, on the status page why is "automatic update" set to off and how can I change it? The "real time protection" was also set to off but now it's on- how do I make sure those are always on ? I also dont see anything mentioned with adaware as far as netscape goes, I will NOT use IE as browser and recently switched from Firefox to Netscape as suggested for better security by a computer friend. Any problems using Adaware w/ Netscape ? And when I scan, do I have to scan from the side that computer is registered under (my wife's) or will everything be covered from either side ? Finally, do I need to kepp Ad-Watch 2007 on desktop too ??

VERY new to all this computer talk so please be patient and explain in Layman's terms....THANKS !!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:25 PM

Welcome to BC Lynch

Please see Using Ad-Aware 2007 Free.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Lynch

Lynch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

I saw that, but it doesn't say anything about how to enable "real time protecton" or "automatic update" ??
And there were 3 other questions too ??

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:24 PM

I don't use Ad-Aware, but relative to your questions about automatic updating and real-time scanning, many free versions of similar utilities have those options disabled, so that may be the case with Ad-Aware.

Quietman7 probably didn't see your other questions or thought they were covered in the tutorial. I suggest you take a look at the Ad-Aware site for information about browser compatibility. You might try reposting your questions as a list, which is easier to read than when they're in a paragraph with other information.

And when I scan, do I have to scan from the side that computer is registered under (my wife's) or will everything be covered from either side ?

By "side," do you mean user? If so, yes, scanning should work for either user.

Hope this is of some help. And :thumbsup: to BC!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:34 AM

I don't use Ad-Aware 2007 either but Dialer is correct about free versions of such programs not offering automatic updating or real time scanning. If you have questions that have not been answered you can also try asking them at Lavasoft Support for no one else responds here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users