Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Pc Keeps Rebooting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dirty420dan

dirty420dan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:36 PM

I just got a "hp pavilion a305w" gave to me and every time i turn it on, it will run for a couple minutes or so, then reboot. Somtimes it will make it into the os (XP Home), and other times just to the loading screen before it reboots. After a while it quit starting in "normal mode", when i cliked it the screen would just glitch and freeze. So when i would try safe mode it would start loading and then also freeze. I ran system recovery and restored it bak to original, but its just rebooting itself again. Also my crt monitor keeps flikering. I set the refresh rate up to 85 mhz but it didnt make a difference. But I noticed the screen is flikering every time my hard drive activity light flikers. I think it might be the hard drive but i really dont know. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:21 PM

Check inside the case for dust build up. You can test the Hard drive with tools provided by the manufacture, hp does not list the exact model of hard drive so you will have to look. Here is a link to the manufactures segate/maxtor,Western Digital. You will need to download the dos bootable image and using Nero burn them to a cd and reboot the computer. You should also test your Memory using memtest. Again you will need the dos bootable ISO.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:52 PM

You can stop the reboots and see what the error message is by going to Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced. In Startup and Recovery click on Settings, In System Failure uncheck Automatically restart.

Please post the error message that appears when you have this problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:25 AM

Doh I always forget about that error code. Thanks Dc3 :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:14 AM

Did you solve your problem of rebooting? I have same problem but sometimes when I want to shutdown it reboots.

#6 Rocco5955

Rocco5955

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

From the vintage of this PC, it appears that it may be from the "Bad Capacitor" era. Essentially, capacitors on the motherboard may be bulged or leaky. EVERY PC VENDOR has fallen victim to this. You may be able to have the mobo repaired, or check with HP/Compaq to see if they are willing to replace the board, but that might be unlikely. You might be able to have a local electronics repair shop fix it for you, irf one even exists in your area. Better yet, check out http://badcaps.net and read the skinny on this. They even have very good examples of bad capacitors. They might even be able to steer you to someone who can repair your mobo.

In my daily dealings with bleeping PCs, I have seen this exact symptom come up, and it is generally the same diagnosis.

The "Bad Capacitor Era" was a fiasco that came up as a result of failed industrial espionage, but follow the link above for the whole story.

"Understanding is a three-edged sword." -- President John Sheridan

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:39 AM

I just got a "hp pavilion a305w" gave to me

you do not mention from where you got the computer and why it has been handed on to you?do you know how old the computer is?

I ran system recovery and restored it bak to original,

do you mean the factory settings?
did you also get the computer cd and licence key?

what antivirus protection is supposed to be on it?

has it yet connected to the internet and if so how? (router, dial up BB cable)

#8 mdude

mdude

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:23 PM

Did you recently install any hardware? Or maybe check if the RAM is not faulty! That sometimes cause rebooting as well :thumbsup:

Mdude
www.miracledrywash.com

#9 3mily

3mily

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:38 AM

I recently had this very problem with my emachine. I also did a complete system restore (XP) & tried many various other things until I read some posts somewhere advising to vac out the dust from inside & was also told to do this by an IT friend!

Yeah there was a lot & I was extremely careful not to touch anything in there whilst doing it, but when I put it all back together it wouldn't come on at all! ZERO power.
Took it to a repair place, 1 week & 170 later my pc came back with a new power supply & motherboard.
A fan hadn't been working for a LONG time, I know now as the pc is SO loud & v. annoying!
I've since been told by many NEVER....EVER... VAC THE PC!
So now they tell me!!!?

Advice - be careful what advice you take!
;)

EDIT - I just want to point out that the posts on vaccing out the pc did not come from BC!
This is where I came to after the damage had already been done so I can learn some stuff for in the future.
Excellent site people!! :D

Edited by 3mily, 09 January 2008 - 09:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users