Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp64 bit on same hd as XP home how does it work?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:06 PM

Im pretty sure that I can run 2 os's on the same hard drive. I have a 160gb hard drive thats partioned at 130gb and that means I have a extra 30gb left thats unpartioned and being unused.

Do you think I can run 2 Os's easy and switch back and forth easy?

I want to download Xp64bit but dont want to download it and then not be able to use it.

Also I am on dial up should I attemp to download XP64 586mb!!!

I started it to see how long it take and firefox said at 28.8kb connection speed it would take anywhere from 18-19+ hours. So if I can download it in that little of time even on dial up is it worth it?

Does anybody know how long the XP 64bit OS lasts?

Is it really worth it?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,612 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:31 AM

You should be able to install it on the second hard drive. I am not 100% sure how compatible the boot loaders are on XP64 and normal XP though.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:54 PM

Can I not run it on the same hard drive on teh extra partion? Only 1 drive just 2 partiones???

I just want to test out a 64bit program I cant seem to find one other than XP64...

Maybe im being to rapid on this and should just wait a month or 2??

How long do you think before we can get at least 1 program in 64bit?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,612 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:28 PM

I think there is a 64 bit internet explorer version out.

Take a risk and give it a try...just back up your data first! No better way to learn!

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:52 PM

Is IE 64 out there for download seperate from Xp 64? Could you link it to me? I have been unable to find it! Yes I have my data backed up now.
Thanks

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:38 AM

It comes with the X64 xp

#7 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:41 AM

A little note: i wouldn't attemped downloading anything larger than 20MB on dial up as 20MB takes 3 hours maybe a little more or less depending how fast your dial up is. but i was on 56k and took me a little over 3hours for 20MB i certainly wouldn't worry about 500MB or more could take a week. - as long as your not downloading it from an illegal source like kazaa etc. But if its from an ok place to download from where you are paying for it it'll be OK. You can't get it for free legaly. unless a trial version.

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:03 PM

Yes I know it comes with XP64 but I want it seperate!

No it wont take me but around 24hours to download 500mb on my dial up at 48kbs.....

But is it possible to run both OS's on the same hard drive? Both on there own partion on the same disk?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users