Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moniter Resolution

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 El-mo

El-mo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:30 PM

I was given a new 20" lcd moniter for x-mas. According to the set up instructions I'm supposed to set my resolution to 1680x1050. however the max my computer will go is 1600x1024. The only way I can fill the entire screen is to go with a really low resolution and images are still somewhat distorted. I guess my questions are will a new video card fix the problem? If so, what should I buy? I don't use the computer for any games other than the freebies on MSN etc. but I do work with a lot of photos etc. Thirdly my system is about 5yrs old, is it worth the upgrade?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:48 PM

What kind of system do you have? Make and model if its a manufactured computer such as dell, gateway, HP etc.. If its a custom unit we need to know what kind of motherboard it has. Even though the computer is 5 years old if it still does what you need it to do aside from the resolution problem then its worth the upgrade. Depending on the availability of the parts you should be ok.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 El-mo

El-mo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

the system is a Dell 4400 and it still does what I use it for well. Thanks for the come-back...El-Mo

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

According to this article you have an AGP 4x video slot. I would recommend any of these cards accept the last one on the page its AGP 8X only. I do not know much about ATI's cards but to be fair here is a link to those cards. Check with the manufactures specifications to make your exact resolution is supported. The Geforce 7600 series can support" Dual integrated 400MHz RAMDACs for analog display resolutions up to and including 2048x1536 at 85Hz. Dual-link DVI capability to drive the industry's largest and highest resolution digit al flat panel displays up to 2560x1600"

Sources:
Nvidia

Edit:Paragraph format

Edited by Sneakycyber, 29 December 2007 - 07:03 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:15 PM

Have you installed the driver for the monitor? It's usually supplied with the unit, on a CD, but sometimes you have to download it from the monitor manufacturer's website. It's an information file that will tell Windows what resolutions the monitor is capable of using.

It appears the 4400 could be supplied with ATI or nVidia cards, depending on options. You could download and run the Everest Home system analysis program and see exactly what video is already present, and confirm if you really need to upgrade or if the present video can support that resolution:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 El-mo

El-mo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:54 PM

Thanks for the help!!...El-mo

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:23 AM

What solutions did you try and did they work? :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 El-mo

El-mo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:19 PM

I haven't tried anything yet but am probably going to order the EVGA 512-A8-N501 card from the list you recommended I'll post back in a few days after I receive and install it....El-mo

#9 uponthestair

uponthestair

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:55 PM

I was given a new 20" lcd moniter for x-mas. According to the set up instructions I'm supposed to set my resolution to 1680x1050. however the max my computer will go is 1600x1024. The only way I can fill the entire screen is to go with a really low resolution and images are still somewhat distorted. I guess my questions are will a new video card fix the problem? If so, what should I buy? I don't use the computer for any games other than the freebies on MSN etc. but I do work with a lot of photos etc. Thirdly my system is about 5yrs old, is it worth the upgrade?

I noticed something similar when I bought my 22" Widescreen LCD monitor. I installed the monitor drivers but forgot that I could use them to set resolution. Instead I tried adjusting resolution with my NVIDIA specs. They only went up to 1600 x 1024. Things on the screen looked cockeyed so I went back to my old resolution that I used with my CRT. No help. Called tech support and learned how to use the monitor drivers and was able to set the resolution at 1680 x 1050. I also got upgraded drivers from NVIDIA so those specs also now show the 180 x 1050.

If you have the monitor's drivers installed, try right clicking on your desktop to bring up Properties. Click on settings and you should be able to move the screen resolution slide over to 1680 x 1050.

If that doesn't work, call the monitor's tech support and see if they can help.

Meantime, I think 1280 x 800 has the same aspect ratio as 1680 x 1050 so the icons and print on the desktop won't be distorted.

I'm no expert but give it a shot and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users