Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tiara25

Tiara25

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:05 PM

SO we have a desktop thats running XP and we got a new laptop for christmas thats running Vista, we also got a Belkin Wireless G Router. I plugged the router in and followed everything to a T in the instructions, and set up the connection on the laptop. I thought everything was fine cuz it said the connection was excellent, BUT after a few hours of trying to watch youtube vids, play online games, or chat on any messengers (which is all we use our computers for), I realised something was wrong. Its almost like it freezes or something, maybe hangs would be the word, for anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple minutes, and 9 out of 10 times I lose the connection on messenger and get booted off. AND to top it off it isnt just on the laptop, its both computers all of a sudden. Ive tried disabling the firewalls, did numerous virus scans, changed the power save features on the laptop, and tried setting up new connections. I unplugged the router to see if it would help the "old" computer, and everything runs smoothly but I want the laptop to work.. am I asking too much, lol. So does that mean there is something wrong with the router or do you think I have some setting maybe set up wrong? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year everyone!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:09 PM

So boyh PCs are connected to the router wirelessly? Not sure what you mean when you say "i disconnected the router and the old PC worked fine?" You have to trouble shoot to get to the bottom of the problem. I would connect the laptop wired to see if the connection holds if it does then you have to look at your wireless settings.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Tiara25

Tiara25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:09 AM

Hey sorry about that, I have cable internet in which the desktop is hooked up to, we got the router as that was all they told us we needed when we bought the laptop, so the router is hooked to the modem as well. When I unplugged the router out of the back of the modem and just hooked the internet cord back into the modem instead of to the router the desktop worked fine again. I tried plugging the internet cord straight into the laptop and nothing happened. Im so computer illiterate its not even funny, so if there was something else I shoulda done, sorry about that. Thanks for helping!! :D

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:52 AM

Can you post the model number. I will have a look, I suspect if you have a router you do not need the modem.
MCP
MSDST

#5 Tiara25

Tiara25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:29 PM

Hi again, I just wanted to let you know that we got everything FINALLY working smoothly! I had a relative come and see what he could do, after close to 3 hours he gave up and told me to contact the place where we bought the computer..... after he left I thought I would try one more time and rebooted the laptop and re-entered the passphrase, and VOILA!!! It worked right away and Ive gone everywhere and tried everything and it hasnt frozen once.. whooo hoooooo! Thanks again for your help! Oh and just thought I would add that to get the network passphrase or security key you can go to the address of your router, which we found in the book and just type it into internet explorer and you can reset your passphrase and change any settings there. Happy New Year!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users