Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm In A Ram Jam..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ibLah

ibLah

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:07 AM

Lets start with some basic info;
System: Compaq Evo D500
OS: Windows XP [SP1] (Soon SP2, having problems with that also but I'm fixing it.)
I got the computer for Christmas with one stick of 512 PC133 SDRAM and two empty slots. A total of three SDRAM PC133 slots. Firstly I bought a new HDD and installed Windows XP, everything worked fine. Then I got 100$ from my dad for Christmas and was going to buy another stick of 512MB SDRAM at Walmart for 99.99$ until my dad suggested I look on EBay for some instead. Oh My God.., I'm so happy I went to EBay instead of Walmart. =P
Oh yes, before making any decisions to upgrade my RAM I did a scan with www.crucial.com and made sure my computer could handle it.
I bought two sticks of 512MB PC133 SDRAM off a guy on EBay named fastmemoryman, It was a 'Buy It Now!' thing and was 9.50$ per stick and 9.99$ for Shipping.

To save us all the confusion I will label my three sticks of RAM I currently have.
Stick A (the stick my computer came with, the old one.)
Stick B (The WORKING stick I received from fastmemoryman. This stick is currently in my computer now with Stick A.)
Stick C (The NOT WORKING stick I received from fastmemoryman. This stick is currently in the case I received it in.)

I received both Stick B and Stick C in the mail on Friday Dec. 28 (fast delivery) and placed both sticks in the empty slots in my computer. I did take caution and unplugged everything from the computer and made sure I had no static on me by touching the case and several other metal things then putting my foot on the wooden desk before touching the ram or computer insides. (I'm always scared I'm going to shock something and ruin my computer)
I booted up the computer and the Bios recognized it and told me to press F1 to save changes. It continued to boot windows and right before the login screen came up it crashed and gave me a blue screen with error stuff. After trying several times and getting the same error screen I removed Stick C from Slot 3 and booted it again. Again the Bios recognized the change and asked me to save it. Windows booted up and everything worked fine. Then I tried removing Stick B from slot 2 and placing Stick C in slot 2, windows crashed again. I tried all the possible combo's with all three sticks of RAM and everytime, no matter what, if Stick C was in any slot, by itself or alone, windows would crash before login screen.

I emailed the people that sold it to me and I'm currently in the middle of an email convo with them about returning this or getting a replacement. The thing is, If I return it for my money back then I'm not getting my money back, you see, i would have to pay 9.99$ to return the item and then they would give me 9.50$ back for what I payed. If I send for a replacement then I would have to pay around 20.00$ for Shipping to them then having them Ship another back to me.
My question is; Is there anything I can do about this other then return/replace it?
I know if the RAM was completely destroyed then my computer would not even boot, right?
Is there any way I could repair the stick myself?

Posted Image
Signature #19 [+]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:45 AM

RAM sticks cannot be repaired, so don't even think of it.

At the price you paid, you may be better to just buy another and see if they would work out a deal where you would pay postage only.

It shouldn't cost $10 to send it back. A stick of RAM can go First Class for about $3.00.

Are the 2 sticks you purchased exactly the same? Possibly one has ECC and the does not. You cannot mix and match and they should have known that when they sold them to you, if that's the case.

There are free programs for checking memory. One is Memtest86 and is available to create a boot disc. http://www.memtest86.com/

Good luck.

DR

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:55 AM

buying 133 512 sticks is an iffy proposition to start with, you were lucky that you knew 512's even worked

the bad 512 may be just slower cas 3 ram, a setting in bios(temporarily) might get it to work if bios was set before inserting the stick, as that just slows down the computer I wouldn't worry about it, rather than run the other sticks slower I would
just optimize XP, that old a computer should do fine with just a gig of memory

Edited by DaChew, 29 December 2007 - 11:56 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 ibLah

ibLah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:13 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/512-MB-133Mhz-SDRAM-PC...8QQcmdZViewItem
This is the items page.
I ordered 2x those so, unless the seller screwed up, the two I got should be exactly the same.

Is it possible that there is something in windows or in my computer or even a setting that could be causing this to not work, other then it being different with the other sticks?
Is it possible the stick is not broken and maybe its something with my computer?

I just now realized, I don't think I tried booting up with just Stick C in alone. I will try that now and edit this post when I do. =P
Edit---
Yah, forget that. It's the stick for sure. I tried it alone and crashed.
I guess I will just need to get it replaced or buy a new one. I just kinda hoped there was a magical program that ran at boot and magically fixed half broken RAM, heh.. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by ibLah, 29 December 2007 - 12:29 PM.

Posted Image
Signature #19 [+]

#5 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:15 PM

i do a lot of ebaying so i would email the guy and see if he has any more. If he does i would work something out with him for an exchange. if he doesn't have any more then i would ask for a refund on the one bad stick and send the bad stick back to him.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users