Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Clean Up Tool Is Missing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cornelia

cornelia

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:58 AM

Windows XP profesional SP2
version 2002
AMD Athlon ™ XP2200+
180 GHz, 1,00GB de RAM

Have NOd 23
Outpost firewall Pro
ad-Aware SE
AVG- Antispyware
Spybot-Search and destroy
CCleaner
Spyware Blaster
McAfee Site Advisor
All programs are up to date and I do scann them once a week and they come out clean

My problem is I do not have a tool called Disk clean up (D) in this case I allso tryed to do it through "cleanmgr" but it says file missing, is there any way to recover this tool?
When I look at programms,accesories system tools, the Disk clean up option is not there
thank you for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:30 AM

http://www.hostingforum.ca/834641-disk-cle...ograms-etc.html

If the file truly is missing from your install, running sfc /scannow ought to fix it and other missing system files.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Louis

#3 cornelia

cornelia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:51 AM

thank you very very much for such a quick answere, I did the search options for cleanmgr and what was found was here
cleanmgr E/received downloads/received downloads/Filters/Filter RV10-BSPlayer/sistem 32
meanwhile until you tell me what to do I copy Paste to my desktop will not use it until you tell me
thank you very much

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:07 AM

Well, I'm not sure what you did or what that data means.

1. Click on My Computer. Go to Tools/FolderOptions/View tab. Scroll down that list and make sure that you checkmarks by Display The Contents of System Folders and Show Hidden Files & Folders. Make sure that there is NO checkmark in Hide File Extensions for Known File Types.

2. Go to Start/Search. You want to search all files/folders and you only want to search the C: drive. for cleanmgr, nothing else needed. The results should display a cleanmgr.exe in C:/Windows/System32 and maybe another in C:\Windows\System32]dllcache.

If there is none in the first location, make a copy of the cleanmgr.exe file which is in the 2d location...and then place the copy in the System32 folder.

I would then reboot and see if it works properly.

Louis

#5 cornelia

cornelia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:18 PM

Did exactly as you told me to do and there is nothing found in search C drive cleanmgr.exe the only file found was the one I told you before and by the way I didn't do anything strange in my system , and can not understand either how it comes that cleanmgr.exe was whith bsplayer download file in another drive and not C

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:24 PM

OK, Windows has mysteries at times and this may be one of them :thumbsup:.

In any case, I suggest that you just copy the cleanmgr.exe file on your E: drive...and place one copy in the System32 folder and the other in the System32\dllcache folder.

Reboot and see if all is well.

I would scan (using my AV program) the file before copying it and check the version tab under Properties to ensure that it is indeed the MS file.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 December 2007 - 02:27 PM.

#7 cornelia

cornelia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:27 PM

thank you very much I will do so and tell you if it worked

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:28 PM

Appreciated :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 cornelia

cornelia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:40 PM

sory to bother again more strange thing system 32/dll cache folder is not there cant find it

#10 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:02 PM

I just ran Ccleaner.....it cleaned scores of Mb's

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

...and THEN the "disk clean-up utility"....and the utility found just an additional 32Kb.....So you can get the job done without what Windows is suppose to have(the disk clean-up utility). I do not know where this leaves us in relation to "compressing old files" though, as the utility say it does that.

CAUTION:
The settings in Ccleaner are CRITICAL......
- On the left side, with the "Cleaner" option checked, in the tab "window"...I have NOTHING checked in the "Advanced" section....and everything else checked.
- In the tab "Applications"...I have everything checked.

Again, on the left side, in the "Registry" option checked...I have NOTHING...NOTHING.....checked. Registry "adjustments are playing with fire" and could remder your computer unuseable.
To this day, I have not found a 100% agreed upon registry cleaner.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:13 PM

I think you may need to run sfc /scannow, LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

There may be more system files missing or bigger problems than projected by your initial post.

Have you tried using the Disk Cleanup tool, after copying the file into the System32 folder?

Louis

#12 cornelia

cornelia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:45 PM

I opened cleanmgr,.exe I have it on my desktop and it works it also gives me the option of which drive I want to open and also has the more options tool so I will use it from there, by the way I use CCleaner for a long time and also to clean the registery when I uninstall a programm I do not like.
I havn`t noticed any problemm with my system, it is only I have to make some ajustments
Thank you very much for your help I am really greatfull for it
thank you again
I was looking for cleanmgr because of the option ofsystem restore leaving only the last restore to save space on the disk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users