Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Not Working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 justjules

justjules

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:31 AM

hi, can anyone please help, i've just tried to install 2x 1gb sticks of pc3200 400Mhz memory into my Dell 4600 (pentium4 2.66Ghz) Desktop.
I was replacing 4x 256Mb sticks that were pc2700 333Mhz. The user manual that I got with the PC says that I can use either pc2700 or pc3200
I installed them as a matching pair ie in slots 1 and 2 as directed. Seeing as pc3200 is backward compatible I even tried installing them with a matching pair of the old pc2700 sticks. Both times I just got a bleeping from the box and nothing else no screen nothing the diagnostic lights were 2 yellow 2 green (Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred). Thats what the book says. I tried reinstalling them
and made sure that they were installed properly. I have since replaced the original memory and it works ok but this does'nt solve my problem.
Do I have to install 2x 1gb of pc2700 RAM
thanks in advance
jules. x :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:12 AM

According to the crucial website, the ram is compatible with your computer so it should work fine http://crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?mo...imension%204600

Maybe you should try the sticks in different slots, and only using one of the sticks at a time.

Maybe a stick of the ram, or both is bad.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 justjules

justjules
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:21 AM

hi, yeah I know eveywhere I look says it should work. tried putting in one still no joy. Is there any way I can test them apart from putting them in a PC. I did read something about BUS speed but to be honest i'm getting out my depth here.
jules

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:41 PM

What are the timings of the new memory Vs the old memory. Guide to Memory timings (credit Google search). If the latency timings of the new memory is lower then the old memory your computer may have a problem with the faster timings. If there is a compatibility problem crucial will take the memory back since it was on their recommendation that you bought the memory. Is there a bios update available?

Edit: I just checked the link that sterling posted to and they show a CL3 and a CL 2.5 which one did you get and what is the old memory?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 29 December 2007 - 12:44 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Rob7622

Rob7622

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:17 AM

According to Dell 4600 specs your ram slots are 4 bank 2gb limit. If you check your user manual very carefully you might see that single sided chips maybe the only ram you can use. What I mean by single sided is the semiconductors is on one side only on the DIMM. Semiconductors on 2 sides is read by most mobo bios as 2 bank DIMMS. So.....the ram chips you purchased are probably fine but not compatible with your single sided 4 bank system. Be sure and check the manual for your mobo as it will outline how this would work. I have experienced this problem on few boards that I have worked on. Hope this helps!

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users