Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Update For Microsoft Xml Core Services 4.0

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:27 AM

On my automatic search for updates for Windows Vista, I keep getting a message to install: Security Update For Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181). I install it. Then the next time the search for udates occurs, is says it is available, and to install it again. What is going on? I keep installing it, but it keeps telling me to install it? The update is dated from July or August of 2007 as to when it came out. What is going on here? Should I ignore it or Should I keep installing it every time? Help!!

I reinstalled it and then immediately checked to see if it was actually installed. I checked the update list. It was not there. Then I checked the Uninstall programs list and there it was. Now I am going to see if it is going to cause any problems when the computer next checks for updates. If it does, then I guess I will have to try what "Dialer" has suggested. Wish me luck!! FYI this is on a relatively brand new computer. Bought the dang thing in May 2007. I will check back in and let you know what happens.

Edited by Groffeaston, 30 December 2007 - 02:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:12 PM

Before you decide to ignore the message, I'd suggest you verify that the update actually is installed on your machine. It shows up in my add/remove programs list, along with 941833, which installed on the same date. They both also show up in my Belarc Advisor profile under the heading and subheading: Installed Microsoft Hotfixes: MSXML4SP2.

You might find some useful info in this MS article: Description of the security update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0: August 14, 2007.

If for some reason you decide to ignore the update message, you can right click on it in your updates list and select to hide it.

#3 Penn Hess

Penn Hess

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

I had the same problem with XP. I followed the instructions in the MS article that Dialer gave and all is well.

#4 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:12 PM

Hello again! I hope everyone had a good New Year! Well I checked the installed programs files and there it is. It says it is already installed on my computer, But when the automatic update check or I manually check for updates, It says that it is available for downloading and to install it. I guess I will have to follow "Dialer's" advice. I had checked it again today to make sure it was installed on my computer before I went to do any downloading of updates. And it is still there. I do not know if my computer had the previous versions or not. So I guess I will give it a try, and see what happens. Then I will check back in and lwet you know what happened.

Well I look up something on the internet on the program that and found out that some people are having their problems caused by Kodak's Easy Share software. I have that on my computer as well. But use it for the Picture Disc CD instead of using it for the camera capabilities right now.

Also in the installed programs list there is a MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978) product version 4.20.9841.0 Where as the MSXML 4.0SP2 (KB936181) product version 4.20.9848.0

My question is should I just unistall the (KB936181) or Both?

Also when I look up on the internet some people had said that when they installed the Updated Kodak Easy Share software then reinstalled the (KB936181) it resolved itself. So now I am really confused!! :huh:

Edited by Groffeaston, 03 January 2008 - 02:04 AM.

#5 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the update info, and Happy New Year to you, Groffeaston. Looking forward to hearing that all went well for you this time around. :huh:

#6 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:28 AM

Hello again! I hope everyone had a good New Year! Well I checked the installed programs files and there it is. It says it is already installed on my computer, But when the automatic update check or I manually check for updates, It says that it is available for downloading and to install it. I guess I will have to follow "Dialer's" advice. I had checked it again today to make sure it was installed on my computer before I went to do any downloading of updates. And it is still there. I do not know if my computer had the previous versions or not. So I guess I will give it a try, and see what happens. Then I will check back in and lwet you know what happened.

Well I look up something on the internet on the program that and found out that some people are having their problems caused by Kodak's Easy Share software. I have that on my computer as well. But use it for the Picture Disc CD instead of using it for the camera capabilities right now.

Also in the installed programs list there is a MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978) product version 4.20.9841.0 Where as the MSXML 4.0SP2 (KB936181) product version 4.20.9848.0

My question is should I just unistall the (KB936181) or Both?

Also when I look up on the internet some people had said that when they installed the Updated Kodak Easy Share software then reinstalled the (KB936181) it resolved itself. So now I am really confused!! :huh:

Well Dialer as you can see, I looked up on the web the other day about KB927978 and also KB936181, and found out about the problems some people have been having caused by the Kodak Easyshare software. I tried to update it, but got some error message about some file not being installed or missing. From the download I think. So tried it again Same thing again, Same error message. I cannot remember the error message and of course, I forgot to write it down. I do not use the kodak software that much. Just have the Kodak Picture Disk with photos on it. Should I uninstall the Kodak software and see if that helps? Or try the fix you had suggested first? But there are two MSXML 4.0 SP2 programs listed listed.

I get the error message about the Kodak software on start-up, or when I restart my computer. Hope this additional info helps. I will check back in, in a little while. I will be online for a couple hours more.

#7 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:58 AM

Well, now that you've brought the Kodak Easyshare software into the picture, we're starting to push against the edges of my expertise. But logic tells me that you should uninstall the Kodak software and resolve your XML Core Services issue first. (Can you provide a link to discussions where others have posted about and solved their issues with Kodak? It would also be helpful to know the exact error message you're getting.)

But there are two MSXML 4.0 SP2 programs listed listed.

Also, I'm unclear about the status of the two MS XML updates on your machine.

Sorry you're still having problems. :huh:

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:07 AM

I would suggest uninstalling the Kodak Easy Share software (it won't remove your pictures), reboot the system, and then try to install the update. We have had many issues with the Kodak software at work and now recommend that users don't install it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:17 AM

Hi guys!
Sorry to be such a pain in the rear end. This time, I remembered to write down the error message from the Kodak EasyShare software. That reads, exactly as follows: The file "Content.dat" is missing from the "INI" directory. Insure that the "PCDAddIn" installer copied this file from the CD root directory to the hard drive INI directory

Also, I hope I did not confuse you, about the two different Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 listings. Because, I have two different ones listed under the intalled programs list on my computer. They have two different KB#'s and two different version #'s.

Here is an article where I found some information about some people having problems with the Kodak Easy Share software and the MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181).
Could KB936181 update problems be caused by Kodak EasyShare software? in Windows update

I hope this article and the information I provided helps. If you need any more information just let me know. I will try to help as much as I can! Thank you for helping me this far!

I also had a problem with my MSN Family Safety program and had to unistall it. Because it interfered with Windows Explorer. That is what the Check for Problems program suggested and that is what I did. I will check back in later today sometime.

#10 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:42 AM

Hi guys! I am going to uninstall the Kodak software and then reinstall the update then see what happens. Sorry I did not get back here sooner but some things have come up here at home that needed to be taken care of first. I relocated the photos to a different file just in case. So I will let you know what happens later today, Hopefully everything goes OK. And this solves this problem. Later guys.

#11 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:40 AM

Hi guys!
I am back! It did not work! I unstalled the KB936181 First then unistalled the kodak or vice versa. Then I downloaded and reinstalled KB936181. Then I checked for updates and it said to download and install KB936181 again.

Ok. Now what do I do? I still have this other one KB927978. Could that be affecting it also? Now I really do not know what to do!
I will check back in later today sometime.

#12 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:57 PM

Hi everyone!
Good news to report! I followed what was in the article that "Dialer" pointed me to. After I finally found the printout of it i had done. And I just did an updates check and FINALLY It Does not show up!!! I guess that does it for this problem.

THANK YOU!! to everyone who helped me with this one. :huh: :huh: :huh:

#13 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

Great news, Groffeaston, and thanks for letting us know! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users