Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Premium: Can't Install Usb Wlan Drivers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 safarifox

safarifox

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:01 AM

My OS is Vista Home Premium, and I am trying to get my Hi Gain USB Wireless G Dish Network Adapter to work with it. I contacted tech support, and they told me to uninstall all programs that came with the product's installation CD because they are meant for XP. Then, they told me to download the vista drivers for the product from their website. These are their instructions:

Steps for Installing Vista Drivers
1) Download and install the drivers from our website
http://www.hawkingtech.com/downloads.php?file_id=3511
2) Plug device into available USB port.
3) Vista will prompt with a message saying Found New Hardware
Select "Locate and Install Driver software (recommended)"
4) Vista will come up with a screen that says insert disk. Choose "I don't have the disk, show me other options"
5) A new screen will come up, choose "browse my computer for driver software (advanced)"
6) A new screen appears, click browse. Go to your local disk, go to "program files", go to "ZyDAS Technology Corporation", go to "Zydas_802.11g_utility" then select "InsDrvTemp_USB"
The directory should be listed. Now click on "next"
7) Windows will search and a Windows Security Warning will come up. Select "Install this Driver Software anyway"
8) Windows will do the rest and finish installing your hardware.
Now go to your windows networking and sharing center and manage the new wireless connection there.

The problem is that I can't get to step four. Instead of being given the option "I don't have the disk, show me other options," Vista automatically attempts to download the drivers from Windows Update. I am not given any option to do otherwise.

Is there a way anyone can think to get around this? I contacted tech support, but their only solution was to email tech support again with information on my OS and product number and hope that they can find an answer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:42 AM

alow your computer to search for the drivers, a quick way to get around this to not be connected to the internet
after you have done that it should pop up saying windows could not find a driver you can then choose to install the driver from specific location,
then choose the driver they had you download. :-D

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:43 AM

Try opening Device Manager (click on Start and type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter), right clicking on the uninstalled device and selecting "Update driver software". Then select "Browse my computer for driver software".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users