Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is There A Way To Virus Scan Youtubes? (and Songs Like Mp3's?)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thames574

Thames574

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:36 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyway to scan youtube's for viruses etc?

Also, is there any way to do the same with music?

If so would be looking for free software.

Thank you..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:40 AM

Whatever virus scanner you're using now should come with the option of scanning specific files.

#3 Thames574

Thames574
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:48 PM

Whatever virus scanner you're using now should come with the option of scanning specific files.

Hi, Thanks for writing back!

youtube and music do not give file names.

If I go to youtube and search for one, the youtube itself will show and I believe most often automatically start playing.

I imagine as I am seeing a youtube on my screen they've already downloaded into my system for me to watch at youtube.

Music also doesn't have a file name.

Both give links and youtube will or mainly show as it is a video player with a video already on it, and no right clicking on it, brings up the virus program to scan it, as there appears nothing to scan as is at that point a player with something already on it.

Even on ones sent to me there is no anti virus menu available on right clicking on a youtube.

I have avgfree, and I asked a person with mcafee and she didn't know of a way to virus scan them.

Thanks,
tapero

Edited by Thames574, 29 December 2007 - 12:50 PM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:45 PM

That's because you're not downloading anything. It's streaming video and there's nothing to scan and you won't get a virus from watching a Youtube video. On the other hand, if you're receiving a link via email, unless it's from someone you know it's probably a trojan virus and you shouldn't click on it anyway as it isn't a legit Youtube link.

#5 Thames574

Thames574
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

Thank you!

That's great to know, as I thought they could have viruses.

Now I can watch things and not worry.

phew,

take care,
thanks,
tapero :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users