Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a Virus?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Karlie

Karlie

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:07 AM

Greetings, I am a very inexperienced computer user, retired, I use it for letters and of course for Internet access. I have installed AvtiVir, Ad-Aware, Spybot and Spyware blaster. Have an HP w/Windows XP Home ed,XP1. Had problems last week w/pages half loading, Very slow connection to internet. Called Tech support where I bought computer, they had me check all kinds of things, could not find out problem. Had me do System Recovery. Of course I lost all info saved including my Favorite lists!. Now to my problem: Did Anti-Vir scan. In Box the following came up. Heuristic/Java/DowmLoader, then in pop-up box: motdeusr.zip, then package_9.cab, then motdeusr.zip. All with the message This archive contains one or more infected files. Infected files in archives will not be deleted or repaired. Would you like to receive this message for each archive with infectd files? (yes)

I then did deep scan with Ad-Aware, this scan gave me 2 long addresses with the message that they contain suspicious code, Heuristic/Java/DownLoader, pre selected deny access. I(not knowing what to do) put them in Quarantine. No problen w/Spybot.
I have no idea what to do or what is happening. I don't even know what an archive is or where to find a file, can anyone help direct me or do I need to have a tech come here to fix my machine? I'm dangerous left to myself with this machine. Thanks in advance, Karlie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin' Panda

• Members
  • 9,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:51 AM

Hello Karlie. Welcome to Bleeping computer. I googled the motdeusr.zip. This is what I found.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/11460/hjt-log-sdh/

As you say that you are new to computers I would suggest that you read this.

HijackThis! Tutorial

After reading carefully and following instructions. You may want to post an HjT log to be analysed by the ones here at BC who know the HjT program. Please do not fix anything in the HjT scan unless an expert tell you to. If you decide to post a log, please post in into the HijackThis! Logs and Analysis Forum

The HjT tutorial will expain very clearly how to post a log. If you have any question about posting a log or anything else don't hesitate to ask it here.
Regarding the first link I posted.. the topic on motdeusr.zip.. it could very well be a false positive.. but an expert really needs to see it before that can be determined.

I hope this helps you. Good luck Karlie :thumbsup:

And again.. :flowers: to BC!
:trumpet:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users