Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Computers On One Linksys Wrt54g V5 Router -- One Computer Is Not Seen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 John46

John46

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:49 PM

Hello my name is John. Formalities done--I hope. First time user at Bleeping comp. Network is two computers, one printer on a Linksys router WRT54G v5 on a supposedly 6 mb Time Warner RR drop. My adapters are wusb54G v4. One on each computer. Network has been working for 18 months, never a serious problem that a refresh and re-insertion of passphrase didn't clear. Problem: One computer works great and one can't see the computer on network. Using switching componets of bad computer(cables and adapters) to see if I could switch the bad link to other computer. I could not. Called Linksys Support and two hours later he got tired and I got a disconnect. This makes it look like a bad communication card in my D4100y 3GH, 3GB Ram, 3 Drive HP Pentium D computer. But just because I don't want to make any big deal of this and start replacing components. Iwould like to know if there are any settings, maybe on the properties of the connections page that might be wrong. My son started to work on this before I got here and I am not sure what he has done. He says nothing but moving cables. He could have forgotten every single thing he tried though. This computer won't connect wirelessy or even directly to the cable modem. If some linksys or HP or anyone has a suggestion I have not tried, please communicate it. If it works you can say you are as good or better than both Linksys and Time Warner RR third tier support. If you can't ,I will. Thanks for listening or reading I guess.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:19 PM

What you might want to do is make sure that your son did not setup static IP addresses in the TCP/IP settings of the network adapters. (Control panel>network Connections). One thing that you might want to try is under the network adapter properties, install the NetBios protocol. This allows the transfer of computer names in a network. See if that helps you.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users