Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Or Missing /windows/system32/config/system

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 DemonicReaper

DemonicReaper

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:39 PM

When i restarted my computer i got this error that says my /windows/system32/config/system directory is corrupt or missing and i can press'r' at the setup screen to repair. I tried that didnt work so i inserted the original windwos xp home dition setup cd and ran it. I then get the option to continue setup 'enter', repair 'r', or exit 'f3' after some files load up. If i hit 'enter' or 'repair' i get a message that says"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are properly powered on and supply connected to your computer and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Edited by DemonicReaper, 29 December 2007 - 09:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:46 AM

Please edit your email addy out of your post - that's a sure way to get spammed beyond belief!

That being said, this error seems to indicate a problem with your hard drive. If you have not backed up your important data - stop trying to access that drive immediately. It's not known if your data is still there, but if it is, further attempts at accessing it could cause data loss.

If there's nothing worth saving, then I'd suggest downloading a bootable hard drive diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive (usually free) and running the test on the hard drive from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DemonicReaper

DemonicReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:02 PM

i will try that, does this look like the proper thing i should be downloading. My hard drive is a seagate barracuda 7200.7, 80 gb. http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

Edited by DemonicReaper, 29 December 2007 - 09:16 PM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:17 PM

Yes that is the correct tool. Download the dos version and get the ISO image and use Nero or IsoRecorder to record that image to a cd.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 DemonicReaper

DemonicReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:04 PM

once i run the cd is there something certain i should do or look for.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:57 AM

When booting from the CD it'll first detect your drives in a little window. When the "Next" button becomes active/visible in the lower right corner of that window - click on it.

At the next screen you should be able to select your drive/drives by clicking on the check boxes, then click on the "Select Tests" button and select the full/complete test. Then click OK to start it running.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 DemonicReaper

DemonicReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:51 AM

thnak you i did not have a test setting for full or complete, but i did have one for long. I selected the long one. Ill report back with results.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:05 AM

Yep, Long was the one to select! (That's what I get for relying on my memory at my age! :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 31 December 2007 - 08:06 AM.

#9 DemonicReaper

DemonicReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:09 AM

i completed the long scan test and i had to repair 6344955 and 6344956, i repaired them. Is my problem fixed? Or do/should i test/slecet something in edition to it?

Edited by DemonicReaper, 31 December 2007 - 08:13 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:16 AM

Reboot and see if you can get into Windows.
Then run the test again to see if it gets any more errors. Errors on a hard drive can "respawn" - which can mean that there's a problem with the hard drive.

#11 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:21 AM

My advise would be. If you can start your machine, backup everything you want before it dies.The drive could last for ages or this could be a warning of total failure.
Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

#12 DemonicReaper

DemonicReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:22 AM

couldnt get into windows same error occured, *currently running long test again*

#13 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:26 AM

If the drive is faulty, when you install a new one and reinstall windows, you can use the faulty on as a slave and try to recover your data that way.
Good luck :thumbsup:

#14 DemonicReaper

DemonicReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:14 AM

ran long scan again, errors 6344955 and 6344956 did not come up again so they didnt respawn. Any other advice on how to fix problem and how do i back-up my drive? All help given has been greatly appreciated.

#15 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:32 AM

If windows will not boot, you could try a repair install. If you need to install a new hard drive, this site might help you recover your data from the broken drive .It's free.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/datarecovery.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users