Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Enough Protection?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spix14

spix14

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:12 PM

I have a brand new Toshiba Satellite laptop that I bought earlier this month. It came with a 30 day trial of Macaffe (can't remember the spelling, you all know the program though) that was set to expire in about 3 days. Rather than go without protection (or actually pay for anything, because I'm cheap) I snooped around here and looked up some good antivirus/firewall/spyware programs. I now have:

Comodo Firewall pro
AVG free edition
ad-aware 2007
spyware blaster

My question is, is this enough protection for my computer? I figure the firewall is fine (only one, right?) as well as the anti virus (only one again, right?) I just wonder if ad aware and spyware blaster is enough protection from all the malware/spyware/adware ect. BTW, I use Mozilla Firefox. Can't stand IE. Any advice would be great! You guys are awesome, LOVE this forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:57 AM

Be sure the Windows firewall is disabled, since it might conflict with Comodo.
You are correct in following the rule of one firewall and one AV, and certainly using Firefox is a plus to your computer security.
Now if you are fairly cautious in your surfing habits, having two of the better-known Anti-spyware applications should be sufficient; although you will find that everyone has their current favourites, the two you have chosen are both good. At your option, you might add either SUPERAntiSpyware, or AVG's AS.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 spix14

spix14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:42 AM

Thanks for the answer. My question is - what windows firewall? Mcaffee came with a firewall but I already uninstalled that. Does windows defender have one? I snooped around it but did not see one. BTW, do I need to disable/uninstall windows defender?

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:33 AM

The firewall comes with Windows XP, not Defender.

#5 spix14

spix14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:14 AM

Oh, alrighty. I am running vista so N/a, I suppose.

#6 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:05 PM

Vista has a firewall, too. Unless disabled, it automatically runs as a service.

There are several ways you can disable it. For now, I suggest you do it through the Control Panel. Click on these:

Control Panel > Security > Security Center

Once in the Security Center, you'll see a list of items on the left panel. Click on Windows Firewall. In the next window, again on the left panel, click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off and turn it off. You can verify that it's disabled and that Comodo is enabled by going back to the Security Center window and select Firewall. It should report that only Comodo is turned on.

I know this seems complicated, but it'll help familiarize you with working in the Control Panel.

#7 spix14

spix14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:14 AM

Alright, that's done. Had no idea I even had a windows firewall, since mcaffee came with one too. I figured microsoft would be smart enough not to run 2 at the same time. My mistake. So defender is fine to run with the other programs?

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:55 PM

Windows Defender is pretty much another anti-spyware program and just some advice, the Windows Firewall only blocks incoming traffic from the internet but it doesnt monitor outgoing traffic so best to use the firewall you have now. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users