Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Video Card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 goodcourage

goodcourage

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:41 PM

I bought kids video games for Christmas. Computer has 32MB ATI RAGE ULTRA 4x AGP Video and the games need a 64MB. Can I change the video card from 32 to 64 without changing anything else or overloading my computer? If I can change, what kind would be best?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:49 PM

For most PCs, a 64meg video card wouldn't overstress the PSU, but if you have the rest of the PC maxed out (you probably don't), it might. How old is your PC? What games are they (for some of the newer games, even though the box says 64 megs, you might be better off with a 128meg or 256meg card, if you want good performance).

EDIT: Also, how much RAM does your PC have? (Check by right clicking My Computer and selecting properties). Not having enough RAM also makes games, and programs in general, run slow.

Edited by madman6510, 28 December 2007 - 11:51 PM.

#3 goodcourage

goodcourage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:17 PM

My computer is 5 years old. It has 512 MB DDR SDRAM at 266 MHz. It has a Dimension 4500 Series Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.0 GHz. The games I bought are Silverline horseback riding and a Microsoft flight simulator 2002. The flight simulator says it needs video card: 8 MB/3D . Are all video cards 3D? Where would I find the best buy for a 128 or higher video card?
Thank you for your help.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:05 AM

Your PC supports AGP 4x so you could always try Ebay or similar as far as I know here in Aus you cant buy cards that old any more. You could always go for a 128 meg but most of them are AGP 8x which will work ok but will not work to there full potential. PCI video cards will not work in your PC.
MCP
MSDST

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

Almost any of these will work just make sure they say 4x/8x. I am partial to Nvidia cards there are ATI cards available at similar prices.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 goodcourage

goodcourage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

Thank you so much for your help. I think I will give a new card a try. The reviews for the different cards all mentioned heating as a factor. Is that just after it has been in use for long periods of time or does it heat up quickly? How do you prevent over heating?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users