Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does This Computer Need Upgrading?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:43 PM

CPU: AMD 1600+ running at 1.6 Ghz
Hard Drive: 80GB Hard Drive
Ram: 512Mb DDR
GPU: 32Mb nVidia TNT2 Riva

Internet: DSL 512Kbps (This doesnt need upgrading, but just if it helps :thumbsup: !

This is just basic and off the top of my head, I will post the motherboard and more information after. I think that it is in need for an upgrade it is just money that is the problem, but, I think I can work around it. Thanks guys!

Edited by dgraziani28, 28 December 2007 - 10:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:34 PM

Without knowing what the motherboard supports it's hard to say other than more RAM. But if the computer is as old as I believe it may be better to just think about a new build. Older parts are more expensive in a lot of cases and you will have limitations on this processor so you may not really gain any appreciable speed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:41 PM

Thanks for the reply dc3, surprisingly it isnt old, it is over a year old! Personally I think it was outdated the time we bought it! I will post the motherboard modle very shortly, thanks for your support! :thumbsup:

EDIT:Sorry about this but, hwo am I to check which type of motherboard it is, the model number etc. Do I just use DxDiag or System Information. Sorry, out of the many things I know, this isnt one of them.

Edited by dgraziani28, 28 December 2007 - 10:45 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:03 PM

I'm not familiar with DxDiag, but you can download SIW which will show you most anything you need or want to know. Just click on motherboard in the Hardware section.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:04 PM

Thanks dc3 I am getting it now and will post it shortly.

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:08 PM

I have clicked on the motherboard and this is the information that came up in the pane.

Property Value
Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Model MS-7181
Version 1.00

Chipset Vendor VIA Technologies Inc
Chipset Model K8M400 CPU to PCI Bridge
South Bridge VT8237 PCI to ISA Bridge
SMBus VIA Technologies Inc VT8237 PCI to ISA Bridge @5000h

CPU AMD Sempron 2600+
Cpu Socket Socket 754 [Socket 940]
Processor Upgrade
Max CPU Speed 3000 MHz

System Slots 4 PCI, 1 AGP

Memory Summary
Location System board or motherboard
Maximum Capacity 8192 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None
Use System memory
Maximum Memory Module Size 4096 MBytes

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:27 PM

Here is a list of compatible CPUs for that motherboard. And this is what Crucial suggests for RAM.

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:33 PM

Thanks dc3, the RAM is about the same price I can get from the compuetr stroe that I bought the PC from and as for the CPU it is Hard to decide which one with so many of them. I think I will upgrade my Ram to 1Gb (2 512Mb sticks) do you think I should?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:49 PM

You should have an appreciable increase in performance with that. That's what I would do. :thumbsup:

#10 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:53 PM

Ok thanks for your help! :thumbsup: What about a new CPU, do you think I should upgrade that aswell or by just adding another 512Mb it should be good?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:58 PM

Upgrading the CPU can improve the performance as well, but you should look at how much this is going to cost apposed to what it would cost to go the extra amount and just replace the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. The newer dual core processors and DDR2 RAM are a lot faster than what you have currently, but it all boils down to just how much are you willing/able to spend.

#12 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:05 AM

Yeah the main contoller for this is money but actually now that you mention it maybe I might upgrade the motherboard, cpu and ram alltogether. Also, if I did do this, my PC would need a clean install of XP though because I am having a few problems with stuff but they are not major and I can work around them. Well thanks alot for your help dc3 it is most apreciated and I hope to get aroudn upgrading my PC! :thumbsup:

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:09 AM

I have one thing that I'm a little curious about, when I went looking for RAM for that MSI board Crucial was the only one out of Corsair and Kingston that listed that board. This makes me curious about compatibility with that board. If you are going to by RAM for that board you might want to contact MSI and see if it is compatible.

#14 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:13 AM

No, the Ram that they sell at the computer store is the same one that I have in my PC right now, so it's compatible.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:35 AM

That's good because GeIL and OCZ can be added to the list of those not listing that board either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users