Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes When Playing Video Games

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Joshman_800

Joshman_800

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

First of all my specs-
All brand new from NewEGG:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6400CZWOF - Retail
ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ800 ATX12V / EPS12V 800W Patent Piperock Modular Power Supply - Retail
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
MSI K9A Platinum AM2 AMD 580X CrossFire ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G6400LLK - Retail
Rosewill RCX-Z3 92mm Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

Used by me for past year no problems:
msi radeon x1900xt 512mb gddr3 graphics card with zalman vf900 cooler or something similar.
1 nec dvd burner 16x etc.

Ok so problem is after installation in desired temperatures and grounded to case and i booted up the machine and presto was doing fine until i tried out Oblivion on Ultra High Settings. got into the design your character screen and comp froze had to restart. tried it once again at low settings bingo same thing. figured it was a memory problem cuz i had 4gb of the patriot in so i pulled 2gb still happens.

Changes i've made to bios etc.

dram is set to 4-4-4-12 at 2.2 volts
spread spectrum is disabled ( 6400+ read thats what you do with this mobo)
turned amd cool and quiet on

still get the freezing but was able to play Call of Juarez for about 4min then crashed now can only get passed load screen and comp fails trying to get to actual gameplay. can watch the game movies every time no proplem.

the core center utility that came with mobo says cpu is at 0degrees celsius
but in the bios hardware monitor it says -22 Degrees Celsius / 66 degrees Farenheit the negative seems odd to me.

been messing with this setup for about 4-5 hours not too much time spent but i am going to run Memtest86 and msmemdiag if thats corect to see if its a bad mem chip.

but it sounds like it is most likely a graphics card thing right?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

JOSH SMITH
(360)821-8220
Washington State

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users