Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Play Dvd

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MimiMeToo

MimiMeToo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:26 PM

My kids have an eMachines W3507 running XP Media Center Edition v.2002 SP2 desktop they've had for a year. Until recently they were able to play dvd's without a problem. Not sure when it started, but I'm thinking it was when we upgraded to WMP 11 a couple of months back. When you try to start the dvd thru Media Center it says Decoder Error. The video decoder has either malfunctioned or is not installed. Please restart Media Center and/or the computer. Did all that with no change.

When you try to play dvd thru Windows Media Player you get the following pop up Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. Open Display in Control Panel, and then lower your screen resolution and color quality settings. To view the DVD Troubleshooter, click More Information. None of this does any good.

After viewing several posts regarding similar situations, I determined it must be the WMP 11 so I uninstalled it thru Add/Remove Programs. It rolled back to WMP 10, but still no luck. I downloaded Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility and ran it. It says the decoder vender is ArcSoft MPEG Video Decoder and the file name is mpgvideo.ax and that it is not compatible with WMP10 and it will not let me set it as the default decoder.

Obviously we had a WMP version prior to 10 that came installed on this computer. Would it be to our benefit to download v.9 from Microsoft website or is there some other way to get around this problem? If we rollback to v.9, won't that effect some of the new games, etc... my kids like to play on their computer?

This only effected dvd's. Music cd's play perfectly fine.....

I was hoping this would be something simple but nothing in my life ever seems to get there!!

Please advise! Thanks.
Mimi[size=7][color=#3333FF][b][i]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users