Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oe Can Only Use French Dictionary For Spellcheck From Office 2007

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:35 PM

So I just installed Microsoft Office 2007 (minus Outlook because I use OE) on my new laptop and because of a screwup by M$, the spellcheck in OE can only use the French dictionary! Wah--?! I've tried changing the default to English only in Word, but it didn't matter. I looked it up and found this option:

http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20061228.htm

If you install Office 2007, spell checking in Outlook Express may not work as expected, unless you want spell check in French. :thumbsup: This is because Office 2007 uses new proofing tools and OE can't use them because it's designed to use the older tools.

It's easy to fix: install just the proofing tools from your previous version of Office (using the custom install option). You can get them from any older Office suite or application - including FrontPage, Publisher or standalone versions of Word, Excel, or Outlook.

To install just the proofing tools from Office 2003, run Office setup and choose the custom option. Uncheck all programs in the list and add a check to choose the options at the bottom of the programs list. No the nest screen, set each top level item to be Not Available (red X icon). Expand the Office Shared Features branch and locate Proofing tools in the list. Expand proofing tools and choose English, setting it to Run from my computer. Finish the installation.

Once installed, restart OE - go to Tools, Options and verify Spelling is configured to use the correct English dictionary.

I still have Office 2003 on my old laptop (but don't have the disk handy, though I can get it if needed). I'm wondering if there's a way to just copy a certain file from my old computer to the new one to fix the problem instead of actually doing an "install" of that part from Office 2003?

I also saw the option of using a third-party dictionary for OE (which is what M$ actually suggests on their site!), and saw this one:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952

...but I am a bit nervous about downloading/installing a file that isn't shown to be spyware free. Anybody know anything about this? Would this be safe to use? And if so, how would I do it?

Any help is appreciated -- thanks! :flowers:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:26 PM

I have office 2007 professional completely installed including Outlook. I still use OE and have no problem with the dictionary at all. My solution to the problem is I also have word from office XP installed and OE uses the proofing tools from that. The 3rd party spell checker you have should work fine. If you want to fix it without using 3rd party software install word from office 2003 that you have and use that instead of word 2007. You don't have to uninstall word 2007 for this to work just don't use it as the rest of office 2007 may need word 2007 to function.
Anyway, if you fix it my way or additional spell checker way, It'll be fine.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Edited by Tomo2, 28 December 2007 - 07:27 PM.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:14 PM

But how do I know if that 3rd party dictionary is safe or not?

Do you have to actually install it?

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:04 PM

I downloaded the file and checked it out.
It installs a office 2000 or XP dictionary and proof tools in the office proof folder. Its safe and shouldn't interfere with office 2007 proofing. There could be a better program but this ones good.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:01 PM

Cool! (I actually installed it too -- and it seems to work great!)

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users