Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

IM BACK

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_screwworm_*

Guest_screwworm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:45 AM

Had to go out of town. I did follow suggestions regarding the fact that everytime I try to click on any pay button to pay for some software program, I get that page that states, "this page cannot be displayed".

When I tried to use that host fix I got message, "run time error 76". I think it is made for use by more advanced than win 98SE(that I use). I would have run that "hijack this" but it cautioned that if I used it it might make another fixer program unable to detect errors. Is this right?

I even started to use an upgrade bios link but ,again, didnt know if this is right thing to do.

Any further suggestions to fix my problem??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:56 AM

WB Screwworm. I'm passing this link with your returning issues to one of the best, if not the best, expert I know. If anyone can figure this out, it's him. He'll post ASAP.
Thanks for being so patient.
~67~

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:52 PM

Some spyware program on your computer is probably preventing you from going to that site to buy that cleaner if in fact it is the Pal Registry Cleaner at this site.

On the bottom of the page there is a link as seen below:

Check Your PC for free click the URL below
http://removespyware.net/registry/pal-registry-scanner.php

When you click that it takes you to http://hop.clickbank.net/?2server/registryc

Is this the address of your link that won't open? hop.clickbank.net most likely needs to place a cookie that your spyware programs don't like. That sites uses tracking cookies. Disable any spyware programs and try again.

In IE go to Tools>Options>Privacy tab and knock that slider down to low and try it.

Edited by Leurgy, 28 February 2005 - 03:11 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:55 PM

If there is something I HATE more than malware, than it is that kind of scammers that let you try their product "for free" and than force you to buy it in order to fix the problem.. :thumbsup:
I know of many of them presenting you with false positives just to scare you. I think this is one of them... Posted Image It would be like somebody go to a acupuncturist to get rid of pain, he says he'll do it for free, sticks zillions of needles in you and than says; "I stick needles in for free, but you'll have to pay to take them out.." (Quote=Cheech & Chong.. only this one is NOT funny)
This scanner came up with whole list of malware 135!!!! found on just freshly installed Windows that was protected with all programs I had before I connected to the net.
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:08 PM

When I tried to use that host fix I got message, "run time error 76". I think it is made for use by more advanced than win 98SE(that I use).

Yes, that program is for XP.

I would have run that "hijack this" but it cautioned that if I used it it might make another fixer program unable to detect errors. Is this right?

I've never seen that error so could you post the EXACT error message? What fixer program are we talking about? I have seen cautions that state if you use HJT you may make other types of programs inoperable as it removes only the spyware components. Kazaa comes to mind as one of those that won't run after the bundled spyware is removed.

I agree with Notorious. Spyware Warrior .com calls this tactic "false positives used as a goad to purchase".

I even started to use an upgrade bios link but ,again, didnt know if this is right thing to do.

This is not a bios issue.

Edited by Leurgy, 28 February 2005 - 03:13 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Guest_screwworm_*

Guest_screwworm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:30 AM

I should have provided more information about my computer. Windows 98SE. I do have Adware Away/adware Away SE personal/registry mechanic/ and spybot installed on my computer. I also have the remnants of Norton Internet Security on computer--although after a lot of deleting(tinkering) I have messed that program up...because it keeps telling me that a lot of components are missing and advises that I should uninstall and reinstall.

While the fixer program that I was unable to purchase was "registry mechanic", I am also unable to pay for other stuff I wanted to buy. Always get that "this page cannot be displayed". The Program was not that cleaner called "pal"something.

When I went to the tutorial for Hijack this, it stated in the beggining of tutorial,
"Hijack this should only be used if your browser or computer is still having problems after running spybot or another......You should also attempt to clean the spyware/hijacker/trojan with all other methods before using Hijack this. IF YOU ALLOW HIJACK THIS TO REMOVE ENTRIES BEFOE ANOTHER REMOVAL TOOL SCANS YOUR COMPUTER, THE FILES FROM THE HIJACKER/SPYWARE WILL STILL BE LEFT ON YOUR COMPUTER AND FUTURE REMOVAL TOOLS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FIND THEM." That is reason I did not run it.

So, perhaps with this additional info ,you can suggest solution. thanks

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:54 AM

Now we are getting somewhere. Its much easier to help with good information. The reason I looked at Pal was because you had mentioned it in an earlier post in another thread.

IF YOU ALLOW HIJACK THIS TO REMOVE ENTRIES BEFORE ANOTHER REMOVAL TOOL SCANS YOUR COMPUTER, THE FILES FROM THE HIJACKER/SPYWARE WILL STILL BE LEFT ON YOUR COMPUTER AND FUTURE REMOVAL TOOLS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FIND THEM."

Yes, that is a little confusing. The point being made here is that you should not attempt to fix anything with Hijack This yet. When you run HiJack This click on "Do a system scan and save a logfile". This will not make any changes to your system it will simply take a "snapshot" of those areas of your OS that are commonly used by hijackers. You would then copy the saved logfile and paste it into a new thread in the HiJack This Logs and Analysis forum with a few comments about the "page cannot be displayed" problem. Please be patient as the volunteers will get to your log as soon as they can. Please only post once as the volunteers look for threads with no replies and try to do them in the order they come in.

This is the next step you need to take to resolve this problem. We can deal with any other issues you may have after the HJT Team declares your log clean.

Edited by Leurgy, 01 March 2005 - 08:00 AM.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:05 PM

Hi screwworm

I see from your HJT log that you have Norton Script Blocking running. Try turning it off and check that website again.

#9 Guest_screwworm_*

Guest_screwworm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:33 AM

I deleted Norton symantic from programs files and several components from programs list (above start button). But when I try to remove it from control panel I click add/remove and it flashes a window that contains an uninstall option....but then it freezes. Also , now when I restart, I get a message that I have removed something that is related to some other entity...and to restart I have to click any letter on keyboard to restart. Now what???

#10 Guest_screwworm_*

Guest_screwworm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:47 PM

Hello, anybody home????

#11 Guest_screwworm_*

Guest_screwworm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:37 PM

By the way I tried to run that ccleaner. It was done in a flash. Did it really do its thing, or should I try to reload it? About that spyware blaster...do you have a link to get there? What did that hijact this log reveal about my original proplem??

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:48 PM

Its unfortunate that you uninstalled Norton. I simply asked you to Disable Script Blocking. The new error when you boot is related to the uninstall of Norton that went bad. Reinstall Norton and go to their website and read the manual that refers to your Norton version and find out how to Disable Script Blocking. I don't like or use Norton so I don't know.

By the way I tried to run that ccleaner. It was done in a flash. Did it really do its thing, or should I try to reload it?

It works very quickily. How much did it delete?

About that spyware blaster...do you have a link to get there?

SpywareBlaster 3.2

What did that hijact this log reveal about my original proplem??

You posted it in the wrong forum and it had to be moved. Check the forum here to see whats going on.

Keep in mind we are all volunteers here and do what we can when we can.

#13 Guest_screwworm_*

Guest_screwworm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:37 AM

I will try to run "hijack this" again. The only way I can find the link to get there is to find it posted on some message. What is the WWW??? to get there?

And then if I run it again, I should run it on the log board designated for that log??

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:57 AM

It has already been looked at.

You posted it in the wrong forum and it had to be moved. Check the forum here to see whats going on.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/12412/here-is-log/

#15 Guest_screwworm_*

Guest_screwworm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:51 AM

i HAVE REPOSTED LATEST LOG IN APPROPRIATE PLACE...HOPEFULLY. THIS IS AFTER I HAVE TRIED TO RUN VARIOUS FIX PROGRAMS. STILL HAVE THAT PROBLEM THAT I CANNOT GET ANY PAY BUTTON TO WORK. WHEN I CLICK TO PAY I GET PAGE STATING, "THIS PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED".

IS THERE ANY ANSWER....AT ALL??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users