Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

App Not Working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gnanasenthil1311

gnanasenthil1311

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:11 PM

why isn 't a application working when a file corresponding to that application is changed from one location of the directory to another (cut and pasted in another location) why does this happen? Someone please help.:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:51 PM

If you've moved the file and the program needs it to start - then the program won't be able to start because it can't find that file. But, without more specifics it's difficult to tell the exact reason for it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 gnanasenthil1311

gnanasenthil1311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:10 AM

okay man willn't the operating system /computer know where the file is????

#4 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:38 AM

sounds like problem i helped someone with, just to make sure. When you try to open any thing or click on any file does it ask you what program to open it in?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:54 AM

In a word - NO.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:02 AM

Budapest is right.

Files are always identified by name - if a program needs a file it requests it by that name. But a heirarchical (tree style) filing system like modern computers use can have files with the same name in more than one location. So to be sure of getting the exact file the program needs, most programmers will write the program to look only where that file is supposed to be. Otherwise it might find a file with the same name somewhere else on the system, and it could be the wrong file and crash the program. If you move the file, the program looks only in the expected location, and fails to find it.

If a program requests a file only by its name without specifying a location, the operating system will look in a limited number of likely locations (known as the search path). But it won't go searching the whole computer. Programs mostly look after their own files, and only inform the operating system of what is necessary to allow the program to function correctly. An operating system that knew the purpose of every individual file on a system, which programs used them in what way, and tracked any changes made to that system so it could always find their files for them, would be incredibly cumbersome.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 gnanasenthil1311

gnanasenthil1311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

thank you guys.now one more question please regarding the same.i see that files related to a single application are not found in a single folder /nearby locations i see them scattered ,some in C: Some in E: ,why is this happening????

#8 gnanasenthil1311

gnanasenthil1311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

thank you guys.now one more question please regarding the same.i see that files related to a single application are not found in a single folder /nearby locations(as shown by system explorers) i see them scattered ,some in C: Some in E: ,why is this happening????

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

Maybe because you attempted to move the programs?

Give at least 2 specific instances of what you are referring to, please.

Louis

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:26 AM

The location of the files is determined by the installer. If you customize the installation (ie - install it to another drive) then you'll have files installed on 2 drives. The installer manages this by adding stuff to your registry to keep track of it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users