Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Corrupt?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 the weeds

the weeds

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:47 PM

Hi,
I've been having problems with my computer and after innumerable hours with the geek squad on the phone, it still isn't completely resolved.

Despite removing everything they found that might be the culprit, my husband is having problems with accessing a website he needs for his job. It is a Mercedes-Benz site using IE and flashplayer that shows video then displays test questions for him to answer. Using AOL he was uable to view the video. Geek squad fixed that, then he couldn't complete the test before it locked up. His AOL is almost unusable. I finally convinced him to try firefox as that is the program I use most and have had no problems with. Eventually, he was able to access the site and complete testing. However, AOL and IE are virtually unusable for him. Not sure what to do and not willing to pay geek squad to come to the house. I am not experiencing the same problems, and since unloading Norton have enjoyed faster page loading.

Have thought as last resort to wipe c drive clean and reinstall windows and aol. Any ideas as to how to avoid such drastic measures?

Thanks for all help. Am not all that techo advanced but still better than hubby whose answer is to curse the computer and the technological revolution :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:45 PM

Try a free, alternative browser (like Firefox) to see if that works around the problem. It's available here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:51 PM

If you have your Windows XP installation CD-ROM, there are a few measures you can try to repair the system files. Since Internet Explorer is a part of the Windows XP operating system, you may be able to fix the problem without having to re-format the hard drive and reinstall the OS.

First try running the chkdsk routine to attempt to identify and repair any corruption there may be to the NTFS file system.

You will need to run the command from the Command Prompt.

Start >> Run >> cmd.exe >> [Enter]

Once the Command Prompt has opened, this command usually does the trick (you need to type it in the command prompt and then press [Enter]):

chkdsk /f/r

It will respond and ask if you want to run it the next time the system reboots, simply type [Y] and press [Enter] to accept and run at reboot. Then restart your computer. It will run the chkdsk command and attempt to locate any disk errors, lost sectors, damaged files, and repair them.

Once the chkdsk routine has completed, try logging in and opening up Internet Explorer and working with it to test it. If you are still noticing slow performance or the program locks up, you can try the system file checker program. NOTE: You will need the Windows XP installation CD-ROM for this.

Insert your Windows XP installation CD-ROM. Open up the Command Prompt and type the following (press [Enter] after entering the text):

sfc /scannow

The Windows File Protection routine will run, which will check to ensure that the correct system files are present and if any are corrupt, it will replace them with the correct ones from the installation CD-ROM.

Once the sfc routine has completed, check the Microsoft update site to download and install any available critical updates - this will include an update for Internet Explorer 7.0. You will want to install all available updates for security reasons, and I would advise upgrading to Internet Explorer 7.0 as well. Once you have installed the updates and upgraded to Internet Explorer 7.0, test it.

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/

As many updates will require a reboot, you may need to visit the Microsoft update site twice or three times to download and install all critical updates.

If you are still having issues after the chkdsk, sfc, and updates, a re-format and clean installation may be necessary. If you decide to go that route, I would advise against reinstalling the AOL software and utilities as they tend to bundle additional programs (i.e. Spyware Zapper) which will consume Windows XP resources and slow down performance. If you are on broadband service from your local cable or telephone company, AOL is probably not necessary for you to use - you can still access your AOL email and install AIM from AOL.com.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users