Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card & Memory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kimgeni

kimgeni

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:17 PM

Im looking for a new video card, and I've got the impression that cards with GDDR3 SDRAM have lower memory than cards with DDR II SDRAM, when compared to the price. So I was just wondering, does a card with GDDR3 SDRAM need less memory, or is 256MB the same wether the cards have GDDR3 or DDR II?

And what about the memory clock speed on cards with DDR 2 or GDDR3.

Are there great differences between GDDR3 SDRAM with 128-bit and 256-bit? (Is the number of bits connected to the term Z-buffering?)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kimgeni

kimgeni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:32 PM

Can someone tell me why this is a System Building and Upgrading question and not an Internal Hardware question?
I want a new card, so you might say that this is an Upgrading question, but Internal Hardware is a forum for "Discuss and ask questions about any hardware that is inside your computer such as motherboards, video cards, power supplies, and processors". I aint asking which card to select, Im asking about video cards in general. In my opinion, I am asking a question about hardware inside computers, and therefore an internal hardware questions. (My post was moved from internal hardware).

I see that these forums overlap, however it would be nice to know the difference for future posts.

Anyway, since the post's been moved, I might as well ask if there's anything else I should look out for. I thought the only thing I had to think about was finding a card that fits my slots (PCI or PCI-express x1 or x16), but I see other people in here talking about the motherboard in general and power suply, so I started wondering. Do I need to know more about my motherboard?

Edited by kimgeni, 28 December 2007 - 07:34 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:15 AM

While you are asking about internal hardware, you're also asking about upgrading and have questions regarding your options when upgrading. Then emphasis in the Internal Hardware forum is on hardware that's already installed, while the emphasis in the System Building and Upgrading forum is on the differences between several different choices of hardware.

While I would presume to offer advice (on the Internal Hardware forum) on how to install and configure your video card - I just don't have the experience with the different types of video cards and their memory to offer a significant opinion on them in the System Building and Upgrading forum.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:01 PM

Go with the card that has DDR3 it doent need less memory its just in that price range you can either choose a 512 DDR2 or a 256 DDR3. The Card with the ddr3 will be the newer cards and will normally have higher clock rate and the memory will be clocked faster because its ddr3 and DDR3 memory is clocked higher then ddr2.

Over all the DDR3 cards are faster then DDR2 so if you afford the DDR3 then buy that because the DDR2 cars are out of date.

Also they have 512mb DDR3 cars but there just more expensive.

If your in the $90-$120 range for a G-card go with the 8600GT w/ DDR3 and the 620mhz clock rate or higher its a good newer card

Edited by Lucky23, 29 December 2007 - 12:02 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#5 kimgeni

kimgeni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:33 AM

OK. Thanks to both of you, and then a new question.
Will a card with faster memory be able to compensate for lower memory, because it is able to collect data faster? (Wihle the slower card is able to store the data instead of collecting it). Given the same GPU.

When it comes to the price, it'll probably be closer to 170USD. Its so expensive over here. Perhaps I'll buy from abroad. What do you think about GPU800 MHz, 512 MB - GDDR3 SDRAM, Memory Clock Speed 1.4 GHz? The cheapest card I could find with GDDR3 and 512 and the GPU looks nice. (Radeon HD 2600XT).

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:50 AM

If you are into gaming there's no point having 512 megs of ddr3 and a lamer chipset like the Radeon HD 2600XT, that card will be great for high definition video, but not games

having more faster memory will help it a little but not as much as a better chipset

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814103049

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814125085

these new mid level cards are the best option for gaming on a budget

waiting a few weeks/months might see them drop in price and increase in availability

all last years 4-500$ cards now look way overpriced
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:48 PM

CES is comming very soon and the new PCI-E2 cards will be release soon after. Look for price drops then.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 kimgeni

kimgeni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:29 PM

I watch more than I play, however I didnt know Radeon HD 2600XT was a "high definition video" card. Obviously I dont know enough about these cards. How do I know if a card's good for gaming/video? I've just been looking at the GPU clock, memory size and memory clock, apparently there's more that matters.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:37 PM

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071...-vs-nvidia.html

even the hidef is way too complicated
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 kimgeni

kimgeni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:53 AM

Interesting link.

I posted a new topic for differences between graphics cards for video/gaming. (So that the content of the thread should be the same as the headline).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users