Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, me please!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bitty

Bitty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:34 AM

Help me, please iím in a pickle!
Iíve got a problem with my pc and I donít know enough about them to cure it.
I installed a 90 day free Mcafee trial. Once the 90 days were up I tried to uninstall it but it wouldnít let me. I looked on the Mcafee website and it had instructions on how to manually remove it. I restarted the pc in safe mode and followed the instructions on which files to delete and then restarted it which seemed straight forward.
I then tried to go back online, but it wouldnít connect. I thought that it may be because I had just installed a Sygate firewall program and it wasnít allowing me to connect to the internet. I tried to uninstall the program using add/remove program but it said that it couldnít uninstall because windows installer components where missing of that it was in safe mode (which it wasnít). I assumed, maybe, that I had accidentally deleted something from the windows installer when deleting the Mcafee files.
I then tried to re-install windows xp in the hope that it would replace the missing files. It finished preparing to install and then restarted the computer. However, when re-booting an error saying unable to install windows when in safe mode appeared, with only an Ďokí box to click. If you click Ďokí then it restarts and continues to install windows xp, but the same dialog box appears when it reaches the same point. I canít seem stop windows xp installing and break the cycle. Iíve tried booting up from the resource cd but it continues to install windows. I could restart in DOS mode but I wouldnít know what to do if I did. If I could, I would like to stop installing Windows and break the cycle. Can anybody please help by telling me how to do this..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:10 AM

Your only option maybe to do a fresh install of XP.

If you need to get your data off I would suggest using the ubcd4win which will give you full read/write access to your NTFS drives, allow you to burn data to cd etc... It may allow you to use system restore if you have any points to restore too.

I've tried searching google but haven't managed to find you a solution other than a reformat and fresh reinstall. :thumbsup:

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:46 AM

On your restore disks , at boot does it give you the option to repair "R" instead of Install ? If it does try it . I have used this option once . It took 1 hr 45min to repair . After the it worked great with no data loss . I was using HP restore disks (XP Home) .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:50 AM

I would like to stop installing Windows and break the cycle. Can anybody please help by telling me how to do this..

Have you tried taking the CD out of the drive?

#5 Bitty

Bitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:57 AM

Hi everyone,
Iíd like to thank you all for the help youíve given me. Iíve managed to sort the software out and everything is fine now. I decided to cut my losses and format the hard drive as I didnít have too much personal data to loose.

I used the Dell PC Restore will restores your computer software back to how it was when you first received it. It saves you having to re-install the operating system, hardware drivers, and Dell software that were all pre-installed. It only took 10 minutes to reset the operating system and might be worth knowing. It only works on Dell computers bought after 15th July 2004.

You probably already know, but if not:

1. Power the computer on.

2. When the Dell screen appears press and hold the Ctrl key on the keyboard, press the F11 key, then release them both at the same time.

The Dell PC Restore by Symantec window appears.

NOTE: Only press the keys one time, if you press them more than once you will receive a keyboard error and will have to start the process over.

3. Click the Restore button.
A caution message appears advising that all data will be lost.

4. Click the Confirm button.
The progress window appears.
When the restore is complete the message The system recovery process was successful. appears.

5. Click the Finish button.
The computer will restart.
Your software is now back to the way it was when you first received your computer.

It makes you appreciate sites like this when Dell software support wants to charge £21 just to say hello.

Thanks again.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:31 AM

Your software is now back to the way it was when you first received your computer.

That is very true. You now need to go to Windows Updates and download what is needed as any updates you received in the past are now gone.

Thanks for taking the time to post the restore procedure for all our members. I'm sure there are many Dell owners taking notes. It seems easy to do also. That keyboard combination is especially good info.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 thbrad

thbrad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:57 AM

PC Restore on Dell computers is "by Symantec" and I suspect is the deployment tool used by Dell. Compac also includes such a tool which also allows the user to save a re-install point after drivers and peripherals have been installed. I am frequently called upon by casual and power users of software who are not that familiar with OS's who are in the same pickle... they just want to get back up and running and don't want to edit the Registry, or don't need to deal with a lot of computer stuff. I have contacted Symantec and searched the web for such a tool, without success.

Also, there is software that canot be "ghosted, MS Restore doesn't always work well, "Go Backs" can be troublesome and sometimes it's just not worth the worry about whether you cleaned out that last bit of garbage. Of course, 100% backup is best, but I would reccomend having this tool "when all else fails". What a nice tool the Dell PC Restore (or similar) would be in these situations. Maybe someone knows of such a product, or with enough feedback to software suppliers, it could be made available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users