Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setup home network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Flipper

Flipper

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:56 AM

Dear madam/sir,
My girlfriend has bought a new laptop and I'm trying to let her laptop use my DSL connection. So the 'computer' has a DSL internet connection and the 'laptop' wants to use that as well :D
I have de-installed zone alarm and the firewall from Windows XP. The computer runs Dutch Windows XP home edition and to make things international the laptop is running Chinese Windows XP professional.
On the computer I've installed a SMC2602W V.3 EZ Connect 11 Mbps Wireless PCI Card and on the laptop a Edimax Cardbus Wireless LAN, EW-7106PC, 2.4GHz DSS 11Mbps IEEE 802.11b. I used the latest drivers for both found at the two companies websites. According to the hardware device list of windows both devices work properly.
Also the distance between the two computers is (for now) less than 1 meter so that shouldn't be the problem :D
I also removed the mark from 'Automatic configure wireless network' and gave my computer the IP address 192.168.1 and the laptop 192.168.2 both with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Also both computer names are different and use the same workgroup 'MSHOME'.
After reading many tutorials I thought sending a ping should be possible now, however it isn't working. Depending on the settings I either get 'destination host unreachable' or a 'time out'.
I have no clue anymore on what it is I'm doing wrong or overlooked. I've added some screenshots that might help at http://stikpet.uwnet.nl/NetworkScreenshots.doc

Hope anyone spots my 'mistake'.

Kind regards

Edited by Flipper, 28 February 2005 - 02:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:22 PM

Hi Flipper
Have you tried setting both computers for DHCP (Automatic IP). This is usually the default usless you have a statis IP address . Are you using a router ? Is you ADSL modem a combonation Modem/router ?

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Flipper

Flipper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:12 PM

Thanx for the reply. I set on both computers the option assign automatically an IP address instead of the 192.168.0.1 and .2. Unfortunately that didn't work.
I do not use a router and have an external USB DSL modem.
Any other suggestion?

#4 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:29 PM

Since you are not useing a router, how are you cableing up the 2 computers.
One computer will have to be the host computer and will need 2 nicks in it. One to hook to your modem and the other to receive the signal from the other computer.

Both will have to have internet connection shareing enabled.

The rest of your set up sounds correct, I am just not sure how you are reading the signal from the modem and the remote computer without the extra nick or in this case an accespoint on the host computer, to receie the signal from the other computer.

#5 Flipper

Flipper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:54 AM

My PC is the host computer. One USB port is used for the DSL modem, and one PC card is used for the wireless link to the laptop.
I emailed the helpdesk from where I got the hardware, and they adviced me to re-install the drivers without the utilities, install Service Pack 2, fix the IP addresses as I did before, and use the Wireless network wizard with the option computer to computer. I'm going to try this in the weekend. Although I'm doubtfull if this works.

Edited by Flipper, 04 March 2005 - 01:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users