Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speakers Only Work In Front Jack

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ranchhand

ranchhand

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

:thumbsup: hello all found your site looking for help so here goes!!
dell dimension 3100c,intel pentium 4 3.00ghz,windows xp home,80gb,512 ram,sigma tel high definition audio codec.

my speakers have stopped working from the rear green jack point,but they do work fine from the front jack point. I have used dell pc checker and trouble shooter but no good,pc checker did not even pick up any errors! I have checked all the properties for crosses or exclamation marks all ok,i have uninstalled ,updated,re-installed,rolled back the drivers for the sigma tel but no go! All volume controls and setting are ok remember the speakers and sound are fine when plugged in the front of the pc. No trauma to the pc so could be software but thought fixing drivers would repair this fault, Pc is 18 months old
Sound was ok only noticed the fault when son who used to plug headphones in the front jack to override the speakers to listen to music while we watch tv,unplugged the headphone speakers from the front jack and the sound never came back on to the speakers.Only get sound now when we remove jack from rear and plug it into the front!!!
HELP!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

Welcome to BC
The speaker jack in the back is built into the motherboard. The jack in front is connected by wires to the motherboard. Since the front jack works, we can assume the sound card/onboard sound is working and the speakers are OK. I'd probably try to update the audio driver, just to make sure. Either the rear jack is damaged or the front jack could be wearing out (depending how it is internally connected) If you're comfortable in doing it, try disconnecting the front jack and see if the rear works. You might have to move a jumper to do this. I'll have to look at their manual to make sure
Mark.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ranchhand

ranchhand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:56 AM

mark,
thanks for the reply, 5 hours ahead here in uk so i know your probabley in bed right now!!
I have checked the audio driver, in fact every driver in the sound section and all are as upto date as they can be.
Only opened a pc before to put in a new cd/rom so would require some guidence to disconnect the front or rear jacks so any walkthrough

help would be appreciated.
thanks, ranch!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:55 PM

Well, I've never worked on your Dell model so my descriptions will be generic at best. I THINK the switch is designed so when you plug in the jack it opens a separate set of contacts that disables the rear sound. If you can see the jack with the side off and it's not enclosed in a cover, you might be able to use a can of compressed air and possibly dislodge dust or lint that might be impeding the switch's function. If you can see the switch from inside, try tracing the wires back to where they're connected to the motherboard. Jot down on a piece of paper which connection goes where and disconnect at and see if the rear speakers work. If it works then the front jack is bad, if it doesn't it's it the sound circuit. Make a note as to what is printed on the plug, either AC'97 0r HD Audio. I believe it's the latter. If you have a spare PCI slot, disable the onboard sound and get a soundcard. most cards have 2 headers, for AC'97 or the other You just need to plug it into the proper header
Mark
I've edited this post about 4 times, I hope it makes sense

Edited by garmanma, 29 December 2007 - 02:28 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 ranchhand

ranchhand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:47 AM

mark
thanks for your time,as soon as i can get the kids off for long enough i will open it up and look inside at the jack connections.If tinkering does not work then will probably have to get a sound card as suggested but will wait and see!!
Once again thanks for your effort and i will post again when i have some resolution
ranch

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:14 PM

I think garama is right about when you plug something into the front jack it disables the back. Thats the way it works on my system but mine is a custom build.

If you go with a PCI card the front jacks will no longer function at all as both the front and rear use the integrated sound.
Possibly you could get a y splitter from Radio Shack or something so your son can use his headphones.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:33 PM

I think garama is right about when you plug something into the front jack it disables the back. Thats the way it works on my system but mine is a custom build.

If you go with a PCI card the front jacks will no longer function at all as both the front and rear use the integrated sound.
Possibly you could get a y splitter from Radio Shack or something so your son can use his headphones.

That is what I'm assuming but depending on the soundcard you but, it might be possible to retain that function. Some cards have 2 different four pin headers on theirs. Here's examples of what I've found so far
One
Two
While poking around Sound Blaster's site I found mention of a proprietary plug not to be used unless instructed by tech support. Maybe it's possible to purchase an extra piece of hardware to achieve this. I think it would be worthwhile emailing tech support of various mfg's to find out if this is an option
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#8 quentin002

quentin002

• Banned
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:24 AM

maybe just like you said

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:26 PM

A little pricey, but the specs. say is has a connection for the front panel header
"Intel HD Audio Compatible Front Panel Header (2x5pin)"
http://us.creative.com/
and if the front jack is bad, you can probably order one from Dell or something like here Wouldn't have a clue where to look in the U.K.
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 31 December 2007 - 02:52 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

Dragging up an older thread, I found another possible work-around. I finally got around to installing my wife's Christmas present, a set of Creative Labs 2.1 speakers. The separate volume control has a jack for headphones and a button to mute the speakers when using the headphones
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users