Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wobbly Slow Sound

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 saliann7

saliann7

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:45 AM

Hi

I hope someone can assist me with my problem.

When the CD/DVD Drive is in use, playing and or burning, any sound emitted from the PC is wobbly, distorted and slow.

1) If I play a song from direct the CD it sounds as above.
2) If I am burning anything and play a song that is already on the PC's hard drive, it sounds as above.
3) If the CD/DVD drive is in use, any other sound that the PC normally makes is also affected with the wobbly, distorted sound.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Advance thanx

Saliann7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kris306dt

kris306dt

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:10 PM

I get this problem too.

I still cant find out the cause of this problem, i must watch this topic!

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

So when you are doing anything on the compuetr that involves using the CD or DVD drive, the sounds coming from the speakers are distorted and wobbly?

#4 saliann7

saliann7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:44 PM

Yep this is what has been happening, but with information I received from Dell Computers, where I got my PC, the problems seems to have been fixed. They advised the below:

Step: 1 Updating Firmware

Check with your PC Supplier for any update of firmware that may be available for your CD/DVD drive and install the firmware for this system. Save to your hard drive appropriately (where you can find it easily) and follow on screen instructions. They provided me with a link that is unique, I think, to my PC's Service Tag so I assume it would be different for anyone else.

I downloaded and installed the firmware update did a system restart after installing the update and once the system restarted checked to see if the issue was resolved by running Diagnostics on CD/DVD RW(obist)

1. Reboot the system.

2. Press the F12 key on the keyboard when the Dell (or whatever your logo is) appears.

3. Choose 'Boot to Utility Partition' from the menu.

4. At the Diagnostics menu, click the 'Custom Test' button.

5. From the list of devices, click the (+) plus sign next to CDROM/DVD.

6. From the list of drives, click the (+) plus sign next to the drive which you wish to test. (You might be using only one CD ROM)

7. Select Built In Self Test.

8. And then click on Run Test.

I escaped out after this, booted up the normal way and have not had the problem since. So, this worked for me, I hope it works for anyone else. The Technical Support from my PC supplier provided the information.

Happy New Year

Saliann

#5 Lucidion

Lucidion

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:00 AM

Hi all.. My the problem I 'had' is similar to the one that is mentioned here..

The only thing that I could think to do, since I didn't feel like waiting for a CD from Dell is to rollback via system restore.. That tells me that the problem couldn't be the hardware or the drivers correct? Anyway, I rolled back to 2 days ago and it worked fine.. The question I have is there a way that I can prevent the problem from happening again? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. I run general maintenance, spyware and virus scans regularly so is anything I could do otherwise to safeguard my sound from reverting to its previously erronous state would be great.

#6 Lucidion

Lucidion

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:03 PM

Ok guys.. I'd hate to bump this topic so soon especially but I'm having that problem again.. I was just wondering if anybody knew of an online source that I could get what was mentioned in the above topic.. It's getting to where I can barely hear anything from any application because of the slow and wobbly sound.. I run a group that strives on voice chat and without my audio working correctly I cannot run it effectively.. Any and all help is highly appreciated! I would wait for something from Dell but only as a last resort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users