Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble With Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 joelp21

joelp21

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:43 PM

I live in a student living apartment where all rooms are pre-hooked up to the internet. I have XBOX LIVE hooked up in the living room. Whenever it is online in there I cant use the internet in my room. At first I thought this might of been some hardware problem on the apartments behalf. I have hooked 2 laptops up to my ethernet port while the xbox live was on and they worked fine. It just seems to be my laptop that is having the problem. Any help will greatly be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

Make sure that you have all the up to date updates from Windows and the manufacturer of your laptop.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:13 PM

What is the problem?
Are you receiving an error, if so what is the error?
Are you having problems with Ethernet on your laptop or Wireless connectivity?
Does your WLAN card indicate that is even connecting?
Does the Network Connections applet show that you can connect?

You have to be a little more specific, a 'problem' could be root caused by a million different things.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#4 joelp21

joelp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:44 PM

I dont receive an error message. The only thing it does that it does is disconnect me from all of my messengers and when I try to surf the web it just loads the page forever and then gives me the error that the page cannot be found or displayed. It shows that I am connected to the net. It just wont let me do anything.

#5 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:40 PM

Have you had any virus problem lately? I know that there is one out there called newdotnet domains which changes the DNS settings in your registry to stop you from veiwing any website. One way to test this is open a command prompt (START>RUN> type CMD). In the new window, type "ping yahoo.com". If you recieve "Request Timed out" then your signal is not recieving actual internet signal. If you DO recieve replies, you will see it say "Reply from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". Now take the IP Address or the "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" number and type that into the Internet Explorer address bar. If the website pops up, then you have a form of spyware on your pc.

Gavin Seabrook

#6 joelp21

joelp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

I did that and got 4 pings with the same IP. I typed it in and it took me to yahoo but it said "sorry the page you requested could not be found"

#7 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:04 PM

This is a typical case of a problem with a software called newdotnet domains. If it was removed improperly, it will give you this result. Basically what is happening is that it messed with your DNS settings. Basically what DNS does is translates IP addresses to names. Such as yahoo.com was seen as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, and upon you typing it in the address bar, and have it pull up a page from yahoo (even though the page could not be directly found), it was a page im sure with a yahoo logo and everything. Usually if you go into the Add Remove programs, you might find the newdotnet software in the list. If so, remove it, reboot, and retry your internet explorer. See if that corrects your settings. Most times if a computer has been infected long enough by this virus, you will have to reformat to fix this problem. Hope it isnt to this point yet, but definetly check your Add/Remove programs for "
Newdotnet".

Gavin Seabrook

#8 joelp21

joelp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:24 AM

It wasnt in add/remove programs. I messed with my pc for a little while and reset my Ethernet adapter, unplugged and plugged back up. I was able to ping yahoo with a reply. But alot of times when I pinged the request was timing out. I do have windows vista and when I tell it to fix the connection problem itself it says there is no problem.

#9 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:34 AM

You might want to run a scan for any bugs with www.superantispyware.com, see if it detects anything.

Gavin Seabrook

#10 joelp21

joelp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

Well apparently that didnt work. I dont know what to do because nothing is finding any kind of spyware on my pc. Even now when I try to diagnose and repair the problem it says that there is more of a problem then it tries to ping microsoft and nothing happens.

#11 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:46 PM

Maybe it is time to reformat your pc. When I came across this problem on a clients machine, reformating was the only thing that fixed it.

Gavin Seabrook

#12 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

Have you checked into your HOSTS file?

The HOSTS file is loaded into memory and parsed prior to sending a DNS resolution request to your DNS server when resolving a URL to an IP address. Meaning that before sending a DNS resolution request, your machine will check any references in the HOSTS file to see if there is a known IP address to match the URL that you are attempting to contact. This file exists to help speed up DNS resolution by reducing time and CPU cycles spent to resolve URLs to IP addresses for known destinations; if your machine already knows a static IP address to resolve a URL, then it doesn't have to contact a DNS server to resolve the page.

The HOSTS file is located at the following path in your hard drive:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

You can open | edit the HOSTS using Notepad. By default, this file is usually only 1Kb to 2Kb, if you notice that the file is larger than that, it is likely that there has been spyware injected into that sysm file. By default there is usually only one IP address reference contained therein. A default HOSTS file will contain the following text:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#	  102.54.94.97	 rhino.acme.com		  # source server
#	   38.25.63.10	 x.acme.com			  # x client host

127.0.0.1	   localhost

The 127.0.0.1 localhost reference is called the loopback - it is used to point to your local machine to test network connectivity. (i.e. if you type the command: ping loopback OR ping localhost into the Command Prompt and press [Enter], it should return the IP address 127.0.0.1).

NOTE: If you have Spybot S&D, the file will be much larger and contain many more entries as Spybot will add entries into this file to tell known URLs that contain spyware to return to the localhost so as to avoid accidental visits to these sites resulting in spyware injection. If Spybot is loaded, you will see the following code appear underneath the localhost entry, followed by the listing of the sites to return to the loopback:

# Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
127.0.0.1	007guard.com
# This list is Copyright 2000-2007 Safer Networking Limited
# End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy

The three lines of "." are placeholders for all the entries that Spybot adds; it would make the post extremely long to include them all.

If are injected with spyware, i'd advise wiping your harddrive and reinstalling Windows XP, its the best way to be sure to wipe all that $hitware off. Then after reformatting and reinstalling your desired applications and files; make yourself a clean restore point - maybe even set up 25% of your hard drive as a secondary partition to store your System Restore and Backup points. In most cases spyware tends to inject into the boot partition and if you relocate your Restore Points and Backups, they may be salvageable in the event of another injection.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#13 pandammonia

pandammonia

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:38 AM

I am having similar problems here... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry717416
Similar in regard to the connection issue, the ping test and the hosts file, any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users