Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Pirated Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TQUAD

TQUAD

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:08 PM

Help Needed,
I recently upgraded to a new pc with Windows XP Pro. I also tried to download and install the free antispyware program 'Bit Defender' from Microsoft. The program failed to install because apparently my copy of Windows XP Pro is a pirated copy. I was unaware of this when I bought it and am not able to return the pc or purchase a new copy of XP. The system was opetating fine until I installed Adobe Audition 1.5 and a sign started appearing in the bottom right corner of the screen. The sign simply says that Windows Genuine Advantage failed in its attempted validation and to go to the Microsoft website to find out why. When the sign appears the program usually running at the time freezes. The individual that I bought the pc from said to eliminate the sign change the file name to 'not'. To do this go into run, enter regedit and under edit select find and enter Windows Genuine Advantage. Two names come up. The 1st, the default name 'Windows Genuine Advantage'. The 2nd, a four number and letter file name followed by a long ZDE5.....24+digit data name. Change the file name to 'not' and exit the registry. That apparently worked and so far the sign has not reappeared and the system is working fine. Unfortunately I lost the original file name and can't change it back if it doesn't work. Will this cause any damage to the operating system and can I get the name back somehow? Is there any way to obtain a proper validation key without spending a lot of money?
Any recommendations or suggestions will be appreciated.
TQUAD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

What make and model is this computer?

Doe you have the twenty five alphanumerical product code?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 papa5513

papa5513

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:27 PM

http//www.newegg.com has new oem versuions for $90-120 w/CoA and key. you can also run belarc advisor to get ALL the info on the pc, including the version key. you'll need to write it down and see if you can re-authorize it from ms support.
it runs, saves to the desktop, not anywhere else, such as a website. you may try to re-install the os using the same type cd home/pro oem or retail version. the key has OEM in it if it's an oem key, or from a manufacturer's installation disk.
you also need to notify the manufacturer that you are the new owner of the pc. they may be able to provide you with an original cd w/key and CoA.
CoA's are NOT the key, since piracy is easy to accomplish with such. :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:09 PM

http//www.newegg.com has new oem versuions for $90-120 w/CoA and key. you can also run belarc advisor to get ALL the info on the pc, including the version key. you'll need to write it down and see if you can re-authorize it from ms support.
it runs, saves to the desktop, not anywhere else, such as a website. you may try to re-install the os using the same type cd home/pro oem or retail version. the key has OEM in it if it's an oem key, or from a manufacturer's installation disk.
you also need to notify the manufacturer that you are the new owner of the pc. they may be able to provide you with an original cd w/key and CoA.
CoA's are NOT the key, since piracy is easy to accomplish with such. :thumbsup:

You can also see the key using SIW which is also free, when it opens go down the
Software list (about fifth item down) to licenses, click on this and if it is a genuine product it will show the product code/key.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 TQUAD

TQUAD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:43 AM

papa5513, dx3,
Thanks for the speedy reply. At this point I've discovered that the little window still appears in the corner of the screen despite my changing the file name to 'not' and adding 'not' to the default file. Also unfortunately, the pc was built for me by an individual and not a company. There is no install disk available so reinstalling can't be performed and returning the pc is not possible. Since I am handicapped and my budget is zero, purchasing anything else is also out of the question. I have both Belarc and SIW and can read the XP Pro identification key number but doubt it will do any good.
What I really would like to find out is how to disable the little window that keeps appearing in the lower right corner of the screen. I should also probably mention there is a small star like icon in the systray next to the clock that reads 'unable to complete genuine validation'. Sadly, people took up a collection to purchase the pc for me so now I am literally stuck with it. It operates fine when the little window isn't on. If any additional information from Belarc or SIW is needed please let me know.
I'll be looking forward to all the help I can get.
Thanks again,
TQUAD

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:04 AM

I would call Microsoft and explain that you have the product code and see if they can validate it for you. Any further attempt at helping you could get into an area which would be a violation of our forum rules.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,859 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:10 AM

References: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx#ID0EEJAC

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

I've tried to actually spot the phone numbers to call, but maybe that is only provided when trying to activate, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users