Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Me Not Get Ripped Off By My Email Provider Please

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:14 PM

I work from home and use email alot so having to change email is gonna hurt but I will manage. I am switching my internet provider from cox to qwest. Cox wants to charge me 8.00 per month just to keep my email and I will not do that. Its crazy. I rely on outlook for my email and also have that go to my pda phone My question is as follows.

- what free web based email is the best for me to use? I get alot of emails and organixzation is key. I want to be able to use that email through outlook somehow. My next question is after I get the service you recomend, how do I get that to work with outlook? I am not great with computers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

Since you use Outlook, you can easily change Outlook settings to work with Qwest-all you have to do is go into Outlook and change the server names so it will retrieve Qwest mail. (I'm not familiar with Outlook so I can't tell you where in Outlook you'll need to change it) Qwest should have the information on it's website. If the email account name is different you'll have to change that in Outlook. Delete the Cox incoming and outgoing server info, insert Qwest info.
All your Cox mail will still be in Outlook, as will your address book. You can inform your contacts of the address change.
There will be a "gray area"-the time between when the Cox account is no longer valid and the time when the Qwest account is set up. When the Cox cancellation is effective, you will immediately lose access to it. If your contacts don't have an alternate address, they will get a bounce message if they send you mail to Cox.

ISP's are not under any obligation to provide continued access to email once an account has been cancelled. It isn't a rip off by any means if they want to charge you for access-they aren't in business to provide email only.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 December 2007 - 11:29 PM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

I would suggest you use an ISP-independent E-mail provider, just in case you ever switch ISPs. That way your E-mail address never need change.

You may wish to investigate having one (or more) G-mail accounts (from Google). These are free and support POP-Email applications.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:44 PM

I would suggest you use an ISP-independent E-mail provider, just in case you ever switch ISPs. That way your E-mail address never need change.

You may wish to investigate having one (or more) G-mail accounts (from Google). These are free and support POP-Email applications.
Regards,
John

John, that is what I was looking for. But I dont know how to make gmail work with outlook. Help?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:55 PM

I apologize for not addressing the issue of a free email provider.
My intent was to let you know that you can change Outlook settings
and not lose any mail you have in it.
To configure gmail to work with Outlook,
see this page-click on your version of Outlook
for set up instructions:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12805

#6 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:26 PM

Thank you so much Queen - evie. Now I am having a problem though. I followed the instructions and verified that everything is correct but I am getting the following error on the send recieve progress. I have 2 seperate emaiuls set up under 1 outlook. Can anyone help me?

Task 'pop.gmail.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Unable to send the message. Please verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first 7sm11571217hsx.4'

also.......

Task 'mail.westernthrift.net - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC67) : ' The server responded: 421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 68.6.19.4 (68.6.19.4:25), connect error 10060'

Edited by chugg, 02 January 2008 - 02:07 PM.

#7 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:07 PM

Can anyone help? I cant work until I get this fixed. I will be out until tonite. Please help if you can.

#8 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:12 AM

anyone?

#9 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 601 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:09 PM

I think I might have figured this out. I wasnt saving the settings correctly. Thank you for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users