Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File/folder Sharing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Yorkie

Yorkie

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:39 PM

Hi,

Is it possible to share a folder on my PC with someone else on another PC who is at a different location so that they can access the contents via the internet as long as my PC is switched on?

If so is it safe to do this and how would I go about doing it?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:18 PM

Hi Yorkie,

I don't have that much experience in networking over the internet. But there are a couple of things you can explore. As long as you have good security on each pc and a safe service for the network you will be fine.

FTP:
The simplest option if you want to just share files. Just get some space and upload your folders.
Pros: Access files anytime, anywhere even when your PCs are off.
Cons: To modify a file you must download it, modify and upload it again.
Search Here

VNC:
This is a remote PC to PC connection over the internet. You can see the other PCs desktop and work just like you were sitting at it. VNC services here

VPN:
I have never use a VPN and I'm not to sure how they work, but its worth suggesting!

One Service I have just remebered relevant to FTP is www.box.net a great free service for internet file sharing they have added many new features since I last used it - so got check it out!

Hope that helps!
Tomo

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:50 AM

What kind of files are you wanting to share, and why?
Word processing and spreadsheet files can be shared safely using Google Docs (this also allows collaborating) without compromising your computer's security or integrity.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:19 AM

It was a variety of files really, it's because my sister has moved house and needed a large number of files from the home PC, email wasn't an option because of the number and size of the file needed so I just wanted to know if there was a way she could access our PC at home and browse the file on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users