Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange & annoying system-restarting error in browsers

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 riverlethe

riverlethe

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:51 PM

Hello!

A while back my computer started a behavior I'd never seen before: after being booted up and connected to the internet (cable modem), when clicking on certain hyperlinks the computer would immediately restart. This usually happens when I am checking my Yahoo mail, either when clicking on the mail option from the main yahoo page or clicking on my Inbox link after already logging in. Often it will do this two or three times before I can actually read my messages, after which there usually aren't any problems. Occasionally other forms or logins would do the same thing. Happens in both IE and Firefox, haven't tried another browser.

I thought it might've been some kind of software conflict, so I formatted and did a clean install. Still the same exact problem. Lately I've noticed it will do this even after my computer's been booted up for a long time and already underwent the usual 3 restarts. Not sure if it's getting worse or I just didn't notice that before. Needless to say, it's very irritating and has caused me to lose a bit of data here and there. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be??? It definitely happens only (and immediately) when I click on certain links. Any insight or nudges in the right direction would be *much* appreciated!!

Thanks a lot.
-Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:24 AM

When it restarts do you get an error message..or just spontaneously reboots?

#3 riverlethe

riverlethe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:36 AM

It just spontaneously reboots the instant I click on one of those links.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:01 PM

At this point do you know what type of link causes it? If you right click on a link and then select copy link, can you paste one as a reply here that would cause it to reboot?

#5 riverlethe

riverlethe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 02:41 PM

Here is the link to my Yahoo Inbox, which often causes the trouble.

http://us.f515.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowFolde...&box=Inbox&YN=1

#6 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:02 PM

Hi sorry to butt in here, but i have question(s) and maybe a suggestion to maybe find out why it reboots.

If you click it from that link you made above does it do the same?

Are you running Windows XP?

If so in XP, Microsoft made a "its not us, its them!" setting where the computer will automatically reboot if a Blue Screen Error should occur. (without you seeing the Blue Screen)

To Disable this. (and maybe give us here at BC a better understanding of what could be happening.)
Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> System -> Advanced Tab -> Startup and Recovery block-> Settings -> System Failure block
1. make sure there is a Check mark in "Write an event to the system log"
2. make sure there is no Check mark in "Automatically restart"
Click OK -> OK
Restart Machine

Once back on line Check that link again Post results (if it still just reboots or gives you a Blue Screen now)
If gives you a Blue Screen please write Information on the screen you feel will be helpful to us.

Thanks

Edited by LoLucky, 01 March 2005 - 04:03 PM.

#7 riverlethe

riverlethe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:39 PM

That's very interesting, I didn't know that! Yes, I am running a licensed copy of XP Pro.

But alas, no, after following your instructions I am still just getting a restart. No blue screen. My (admittedly uneducated) speculation was that the fact that it most often restarts when clicking on online mail or message links has something to do with it... but I don't really have any idea.

Anyone?
;)

-Robert

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:37 AM

Go into the internet option of internet explorer and disable javascripting and java under the security tab settings. Then try and see if its a problem

#9 riverlethe

riverlethe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:10 PM

I am not having trouble after disabling Java.

Any ideas how to fix this and still be able to utilize Java?

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:43 PM

In my tutorial section is a tutorial on how to remove the microsoft java and install the sun java. Follow those instructions.

#11 riverlethe

riverlethe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:28 AM

By Jove, this seems to have worked!!! I am *extremely* impressed and grateful, as I could find no information on this elsewhere. I will be donating to the site and will be sure to spread the word.

If I do have any more problems I will post them on here, but so far so good.
Many thanks!

-Rob

#12 riverlethe

riverlethe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:38 PM

Heh, looks as though I spoke too soon. While the problem appeared to disappear while I had Java disabled, it has returned after I installed Sun Java. Are both applications somehow conflicting with my OS?

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:41 AM

Shouldnt be as long as you uninstalled the microsoft java as described in the tutorial.

#14 riverlethe

riverlethe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 07:39 PM

Yes, I followed those instructions exactly... still getting the restarts, perhaps even more than ever. Hypothetically, if it's a hardware problem which component would be having trouble?

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:20 AM

Hmm hard to say. See if you can update your network cards drivers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users