Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

having with problems with internet connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 angelprincess

angelprincess

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:58 PM

O.k. I have a problem with connectiong to the internet and was curious if any of you could help. Here are my specs so to say. I would really appreciate any help.

I have Charter Internet
Windows XP service pack 2

Charter says I have a good connection, but pc does not recognize any internet connection.

I went under the internet connections window I used the repair tool and it didn't help

I also went under internet options. I have tried resetting all settings to default, this also didn't help

What else shoud i look for to establish connection?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:12 PM

Go to that machine and go to Start>Run and type in cmd.

Then type the following (you need to be exact including spaces)

ping www.google.com

If you get a reply you know your on the internet. Have you had ZoneAlarm on that machine?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:59 PM

You have Charter Cable?? Are you using a router ? Are you using DHCP or a statis IP ? Do you have more than one computer ? Try the following START>MY NETWORK PLACES (right click) > PROPERTIES > NETWORK TASKS > SETUP A HOME OR SMALL OFFICE NETWORK . Read each prompt carefully . It is straight foward and esy to follow . I personally had an XP Pro machine I had to run this 3 times before it took . Let me know if this helped .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:15 PM

Leurgy, your comments are very good!!!!

I had Zone Alarm Pro on the computer and it is no longer here and remnants caused problems until I used my Reg program.

I thought your test for internet connection was a good suggestion, I have that one noted in my files and it took awhile to find it out sometime ago at another forum.
:thumbsup:

:flowers:
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for that post georgia. ZoneAlarm doesn't seem to uninstall very well. It seems to think its under attack and can lock your browsers from connecting to the internet.

Could you please tell us what Reg program you used? I'll put that in my files too. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:58 PM

Reg Supreme and it cleaned it out well.

No more ZAP, thank goodness, the program was a pain for me on my computer over embellished with "bells and whistles" , duplicates of programs I already have. I guess that is their alledged reason for charging for it.

It was recommended to me, but was indeed a resource hog.

Regards :thumbsup:
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the tip georgia. If anyone else is interested in trying this program a reliable download site is here. It is a 30 day trial.

#8 wu8303794836

wu8303794836

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:37 PM

I need help w/ very, very slow web page updates and downloads to my Dell Dimension 4600 pc (Windows XP Pro SP2, Intel Pentium4 x 2.4ghz) connected to internet thru Dell TrueMobile 2300 router which is connected to DSL cable modem provided by Consolidated.net ISP. The web updates on this pc are as slow as a phone line modem connection.

The cable modem and router are working ok because if I connect my old Compaq laptop to the same router port as the Dell pc, web page updates & downloads are very, very fast. I can then connect my Dell pc to the same router port, and the web page updates are very, very slow.

The web page address shows immediately on the lower left side of the Internet Explorer window, but there is a 30-45 second delay before the web page first comes up on the screen. Then it continues to slowly shows up on the screen. I also have a wirelss connected Compaq pc connected to this same router, and the updates to this wireless connected pc are very, very fast.

I have Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security installed on the Dell pc, both in auto-protect mode. I tried disabling both software packages, but no change to the web page updates to the Dell pc. I ran several anti-spyware software packages, but internet pages still update and files still download very slow on Dell pc.

I pinged www.google.com and got response "destination host unreachable". Pls help.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:31 AM

Hi wu8303794836 and welcome to BC

Can you copy and paste your post into a new thread? That way it won't get lost in this one and this one will concentrate on angelprincess's problem. I'll watch for it in this forum. Just click new topic.

In the meantime download and run Ccleaner and maybe add to the new post how much it found in files and MB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users