Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msvcrt.dll error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tslots

tslots

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:59 PM

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro and have been getting the following error message recently when attempting to install application software (upgrades to Nero Burning ROM and PC-Cillin)

MSVCRT.DLL for Win32
Error: MSVCRT.DLL is not compatible with Win32s

After this error appears, the install process aborts.

My system appears to be virus-free, and I don't see anything out of the ordinary when running HJT, so I suspect that this file is just corrupted. However, I'm at a loss at how to replace. Booting into SAFE mode is no help as this dll is still in use.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:59 AM

Hey tslots. It sounds like those 2 programs are trying to use older versions of msvcrt.dll. What versions of those programs do you currently have and what versions are you trying to upgrade them too?

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 tslots

tslots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:58 PM

OT ... I currently have:

Trend Micro PC-Cillin 2004
Nero Burning ROM 6.3.0.3.

I'm trying to upgrade to:

Trend Micro PC-Cillin 2005
Nero Burning ROM 6.6.0.8

I have several version of MSVCRT.dll on my system. Some are in subdirectories of application software (Logitech Mouseware, Olympus Camedia Master 4.0, Java 1.4.2_06 ). The version in my WINNT/system32 directory is 281KB and is dated 6/19/2003.

#4 WinDozer

WinDozer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

I dunno it this method will help you but it's what I do if I don't have a particular DLL installed and some software I am trying to run wants it.

Firstly I go to The Dynamic Link Library (use the SEARCH in the top right corner) and find the DLL I want, then I put it in the same folder/directory as the program I am trying to run/install.

This way I don't have to have that particular DLL installed on my system.

If the DLL that you try gives the same error, try copying others from the programs you mentioned into the folder you are installing from. Right Clicking on the DLL and choosing Properties >> Version will maybe help a little as well, to see if you have a newer/different one to try.

This One is version 7.0.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) and is 323.072 bytes.
Floating aimlessly in CyberSpace

#5 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:48 PM

Hey tslots. I've been doing some checking and it appears that you are not alone in your problem with msvcrt.dll and Nero. The Nero website wasn't much help. They did suggest downloading various system updates but most users reproted that it didn't make any difference.

You can try the method outlined above and see if it works but you will need to know what version of msvcrt.dll the upgrade is looking for. And you can't just go by the date or file size. You will have to check the version number using the Properties dialog. I checked my system and I have 6 unique version in about 10 different msvcrt.dll files so trial and error might be the only way.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#6 tslots

tslots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for the info. My main question though is still - how do I replace the DLL file in the WINNT/system32 directory? There is no option to boot into a DOS mode ... only Safe Mode, Command Prompt and with Networking. But these all activate the Windows 2000 GUI. So when I try to delete or rename the file, I get a message that it is in use.

Also, are any of the Registry utility programs listed here any good (RegistryFix, PCMightyMax, etc)? I downloaded the demo RegistryFix program and it listed 400 issues.

Thanks.

#7 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:19 PM

If the file you have in your system directory is version 6.1.9844.0 then that is the most current version. You can replace it but beware that it may cause more problems if a different version is there. Plus, if you remove it, Windows might just replace it again with it's own version. That said, you can use Killbox to delete the file on bootup:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/killbox.php

I don't recommend doing this but it's up to you.

As for your question regarding registry cleaners, I wouldn't pay for any of them. There are many good free ones available and it has been my experience that the commercial versions give you many false positives to get you to buy their products. I have tried many free ones and the one I like the best is CCleaner. Here's a link:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

I will run this after I uninstall any major softwrae package and then routinely every couple of months. Have never had any problems.

Sorry I didn't have any furhter information regarding your Nero problem.

Cheers.

OT
OldTimer

Posted Image

#8 WinDozer

WinDozer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:06 PM

tslots

I think it may only be a particular app/process that is preventing you from doing what you want to do. I run Win2000 Pro as my main OS and I just renamed msvcrt.dll and wasn't stopped by the system, so I'm guessing that nothing I have running is accessing it.

If that is the case then just close as many programs as you can and try what I did. Take into account that the first place to rename/replace/remove a DLL is in the DLLCACHE folder in the system32 folder [ X:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE] - then the one in SYSTEM32. If it's a protected file then if you change the one in SYSTEM32 it will just get replaced by the one from DLLCACHE, which is bloody frustrating.

I always CTRL C / CTRL V the file before acting on it so I have a "Copy of xxxxx.xxx" in case things screw up.

I dunno if that's what you wanna do, but I'm just letting you know that msvcrt.dll is not being used by my Win2000 or any of the many progs I have running.

BTW, my msvcrt.dll in the system path is version 6.10.9359.0 and is 290,869 bytes
Floating aimlessly in CyberSpace

#9 tslots

tslots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:50 PM

OT + Windozer ... thanks to both of you for the replies.

OK, the version of MSVCRT.dll in my WINNT\system32\ directory is 6.1.9844.0
This file is NOT listed in WINNT\system32\dllcache\ directory. ( Although I do have msvcrt20.dll and msvcrt40.dll listed there )

I downloaded the killbox application and listed this file for deletion on reboot. I then made a copy of the file and rebooted. It still appears in the WINNT\system32\ directory after the reboot.

I also downloaded and ran the CCleaner application and rebooted again.

I tried running the Nero upgrade file but still have the same error message.

I've logged an issue with the Nero Support group. Hopefully they will have some answers.

BTW, I've noticed that my DVD player no longer plays movies ... so I'm assuming this is also related to this same problem.

#10 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:51 PM

Hey tslots and windozer. I was doing some reading on Microsoft's site and what they said was that this error can occur when an application tries to update the system copy of msvcrt.dll. The system copy should only be updated by service packs and not by application installations. The system will not allow this. If Nero is using a different version then it should be installing the smvcrt.dll version required for Nero to the Nero application directory.

It will be interesting to see what Nero tech support has to say.

Cheers.

OT :thumbsup:
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users