Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

~windows Missing File-wont Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 azyardies

azyardies

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

As of yesterday, my pc just shuts off before it really has a chance to load up> It was
working fine 5 days ago- After i turn on pc it showed this once," We appologize for the inconveninece but windows did not start up normally due to a software change, etc".... NO blue screen- just white text in black backround. After attempting several ways to boot up, it stopped showing that error & started doing showing something else;"Windows couldnt start because the following file is corrupt or missing. Please reinstall a copy of the above file, windows root>\system32\hal.dll
I tried to go into safe mode, and last known configuration, and it still
shows the above missing file alert.
I was hoping to use my XP CD to fix things but when I chose to boot from CDROM, nothing happens. I am not very pc saavy so I would need easy terms please.
Info: Windows Xp home OEM edition, sp2, IE6, and keep my desktop up todate
with anti virus, etc programs. Have not used a registry cleaner in months. My Dell is about 4 years old and I have been
the only owner.thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:00 PM

You most likely have a problem with your boot.ini, you will probably find that you cannot run the recovery console or re-install windows (without using another PC).

These could be a little confusing
First try the Microsoft support Here If you have the PCs side by side it would help to do the Guide step by step. This is the easier option
Or
Kellys-Korner XP Tutorial (The top half probably isn't relivant to your situation.) This requires pulling out the hard drive and using as a slave drive on another pc. Don't attempt this if you don't feel up to it.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:06 PM

If you have a MS XP CD, you should be able to recover, or at least attempt such.

Windows XP Setup - Missing HAL.DLL - http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:xUdK5...t.ini&hl=en

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000490.htm

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm...ssinghaldll.htm

Louis

#4 SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:42 PM

yeah I agree to Tomo2 the thing maybe related to boot.ini.... but when you put the XP CD what did you mean by "nothing happens"???

#5 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:52 PM

Thanks all who replied. WHen I turn on the pc (even with XP CD in drive) the first thing I see is the message "Windows couldnt start because the following file is corrupt or missing. Please reinstall a copy of the above file, windows root>\system32\hal.dll
If i click "ENTER" it restarts and again i see the same messsage stated above.
If I click "ENTER" and hit F2, i get the box that has these tabs. Main, adanvced, security, power, boot, exit. If I go to "BOOT" and chose to boot in cd-rom>>then click ENTER, nothing happens.
If at start up, I hit F8 i can get the advanced option menu. I choose "safe mode", I get the same error message above...........I select any other option and it does the same thing/they all go back to the same error message.

If at start up, I hit F12, I get the blue box where I can choose to boot from IDE cdrom drive (and others). It says press any key to boot from CD. If I dont press any key right away, I get that error message. But if I do press any key quickly, then there is a blue screen that says WIndows set up on top.
ANd on the bottom it shows that setup is loading files. THen it takes me after a few seconds to where seems to be where I do the setup steps

HOWEVER, TODAY, it started doing something a bit different. It seems like if I dont take any action right away, like reinstall windows or any other thing, the PC just shuts off totally. Before today, I think I would be able to install perhaps XP via CD again. SO, If I can get the CD to install/reinstall windows, is that something that I need to do?? If so, I just dont know how to or what to press; as i have never done a reinstall. Please help
PS I will read what the others post and see if I can try those things. I do have a ME edition pc right next to the desktop. I have a XP laptop i keep at home but can bring if advised to do some things using a second pc. Is my pc gone bonkers you think???

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,414 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:47 PM

10 things you can do when Windows XP won't boot - http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877-6031733.html

I would probably replace the CMOS battery, which would result in forcing the default CMOS settings to be used.

CMOS Battery. - http://www.geocities.com/micksmix2000/cmosbatt.html

Then I would try a reboot, see if I can now enter the BIOS, and change boot drive option to reflect the CD/DVD drive.

Doesn't take long, doesn't cost much.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 December 2007 - 03:53 PM.

#7 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:25 PM

:thumbsup: Hi ALL, i did as much reading from all who responded and let me tell u something odd. I was reading links that Hamluis sent at the http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000490.htm... and tried the various things there and even the expand one, and i got a access denied. SO, while reading more of what you all wrote, i also started playing with the commands just to see what would happen. I typed logon and it asked for addminstrative password which my pc doesnt have. then I did a chkdsk and it did find an error somewhere but did not list # of it. (I had to keep striking keys on the keyboard because earlier the pc would shut off if no activity was happening)>>>THen i clicked on one of the commands (i forgot what i clicked from the help menu, and the C;\ with the flashing box changed to it saying C:\windows.....so i again started adding words after it and nothing happened. Now I couldnt get the C:\ by itself . the word "windows" followed it. Well, in frustration, i exited there and when it pc restarted, i decided to try again safe mode. then i clicked last known configuration and VIOLA!!! I got the pc to boot to the desktop. quickly i did a system restore to the 21st of Dec and so far so good. My XP CD is still in the cd drive.
~SHOuld i remove the cd??
~Should i go and buy a external hard drive and copy everything to it just in case this is a wake up call that this is gonna quit on me sometime.
~DId i do anything that could have helped. or was it a coincidence. WEIRD happening. I hope i explained clearly to you.
I dont know, but i get the feeling that i might have this problem again.....just dont know when. ANy ideas what i can do now that I can get to the desktop. can i check anything in control panel or in "run"
THanks for your help & time taken to answer my concern, and your links.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,414 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:10 PM

LOL...I hate it when mysteries clear themselves up, leaving us all in the dark :flowers:.

The things I would take away from this:

a. A backup strategy and implementation is a necessity for anyone who seriously does not like being inconvenienced when computing things go wrong.

b. Sometimes...no, make that always...luck is more important than anything else :thumbsup:.

Suggest that you run chkdsk, following instructions provided here, before you back up all your files.

Error Checking - Scan Your Hard Drive Using Error Checking - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble.../hderrcheck.htm

How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

The easy way to backup is to use a disk imaging program, such as Acronis True Image, Ghost, etc. These programs are worth the outlay, IMO. And there are free programs available for back ups.

Louis

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:45 PM

One of the things that probably was going through you mind during this was about all the files you have lost, if you don't back up all of you important files on a removable storage device then you should now. Use a CD, DVD, or even a flash drive through it is less reliable, and store all of you important files and store them in a safe place.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:46 AM

The surest way to ensure that you backup your data is to lose it first! :thumbsup:
Unfortunately the effect of this tends to wear away over time (it has for me) - so a good, automated backup routine is essential.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users