Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't play .wmv

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iamtehwalrus

iamtehwalrus

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:42 PM

Generally I use winamp
and a while back, .wmv stopped playing properly with winamp--it would only show video and no sound... but it worked fine in WMP

Then I uninstalled my WMP9 and installed WMP10, and everything was working fine--winamp could play .wmv perfectly

Then something happened and I don't know what... neither WMP or winamp could play .wmv files

Winamp would just crash
and WMP would come up with an error

I'm thinking it has something to do with codecs, but i've downloaded this codec pack that was supposed to fix everything, but it didn't work http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...ecdownload.aspx

So now I'm stuck, unable to play .wmv in any way, and it's really annoying so can anyone please help?

EDIT: Is there some way to completely uninstall WMP
because earlier today i was having some problems trying to reinstall it... i tried reinstalling WMP10 but afterwards it thought i had WMP9 installed and it was trying to run WMP10 and saw a conflict and it wouldn't start... somethign to that nature

cliffs:
basically my WMP is messed up

Edited by iamtehwalrus, 27 February 2005 - 09:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:31 PM

Microsoft says you can:

You can use either Add or Remove Programs or System Restore to roll back to the previous version of the Player that was part of your original version of Windows. To roll back from Windows Media Player 10 to a previous version using Add or Remove Programs, do the following:

1. In Control Panel (Category View), click Add or Remove Programs.
  2. Click Add or Remove Programs again, and then do one of the following:
          * If you are running Windows XP Service Pack 2, select the Show updates check box (at the top of the list), click Windows Media Player 10, and then click Change/Remove.
            - or -
          * If you are running Windows XP Service Pack 1 or earlier, click Windows Media Player 10, and then click Change/Remove.

VLC plays most wmv's if you want to try it.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#3 iamtehwalrus

iamtehwalrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:59 PM

i might go with VLC just cuz i've been asking another forum, and even with their help i can't figure it out...
(my WMP9 is broken somehow and rolling back renders WMP un-executable)

#4 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:13 PM

I'm not sure if it will work though. VLC could already play WMV1/2, but to be able to play WMV3 files, they make a work-around that uses the WMV3 codec built into windows. Media Player Classic might play it as well.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users