Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Is The Modem On My New Computer Slower?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:30 PM

I have a new dv9500t laptop that I removed Vista from and did a fresh install of XP Home.

I am noticing that my modem on the new laptop seems to connect slower to the internet (50.6 average) as compared to my old laptop (53.2 average).

Also, the new laptop/modem hangs for one or two seconds before disconnecting.

The modem on my old laptop is a AC97 Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP.

The one on my new laptop is a Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem.

I also see that there is something called sm56hlpr.exe that runs on startup on the new laptop. I have no idea if this would cause things to be slower, but I thought I'd mention it.

Any help is appreciated -- thanks!

:thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:54 PM

Your initial connect speed does not really mean the connection is faster, modems retrain all the time trying to keep a good connection, they can go up or down, better to have one connect at a slower stable speed than have to slow down by retraining.

Your figures are good and the difference is insignificant

Edited by DaChew, 27 December 2007 - 02:54 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 JPeterman

JPeterman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

I can remember the days of when I had dialup, and I would have killed to have gotten the speeds you posted, as DaChew states, the difference is insignificant, don`t worry about it.

#4 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:55 PM

Okey-doke! Thanks!

:thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

Re sm56helper: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sm56helper

Personally, I would remove it (and probably other things that are running at startup).

A key tool: AutoRuns for Windows v8.73 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/AutoRuns.mspx

Louis

#6 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:17 PM

Re sm56helper: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sm56helper

Personally, I would remove it (and probably other things that are running at startup).

Re: sm56helper
It's not called anything listed here:
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?sub...&submit=%3E

...in startup, it's just called sm56hlpr. BC here says it's needed:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/s...r.exe-5001.html

Thoughts?

Re: Other startup items... Do you mind if I ask you about those?

Also, is it okay just to use the startup thing in Spybot to disable startup items (since I've got that already)?

Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 28 December 2007 - 03:27 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:24 PM

Hmm...I don't think I've ever seen a driver disguised as an executable.

I guess I've learned something today, thanks!

Regarding startup tools...I would use the tool I previously suggested. You can do as you like.

If you read the information available at the Microsoft website re Autoruns, I think you'll find it more appropriate than anything on any of your existing installed software.

As for items listed in startup, I think (Autoruns) will provide you enough info to use Google or something like Startup Programs Database (which you know how to use).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 December 2007 - 08:26 AM.

#8 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:41 PM

I guess I've learned something today, thanks!

So it is the driver and I should leave it alone?

#9 JPeterman

JPeterman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

http://www.fileresearchcenter.com/S/SM56HLPR.EXE-3987.html Check the link out. IMHO, I would just leave it alone, I believe it is a part of your Motorola Modem driver, and whatever you do, you do not want to mess with the drivers, especially if the modem is functioning aok, unless of course you are familiar with that type of process.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

I remember a few years back they started that with printers and scanners, calling it push technology, kind of put me off.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 JPeterman

JPeterman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:41 PM

I know what you mean DaChew, back when I had dial up, I bought a new PC Tell 56K modem, and it had a similar exe, called PCTell.exe, which I was none too happy about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users