Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode Stuck

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 cattch08

cattch08

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:49 PM

I had a power cut i turned on the computer and it goes into safe mode, if i click on any of the options it reboots back to the safe mode screeen and wont start. when i click normal mode it reboots and for a second there is a error message but its 2 fast to read anyone help im told to re-install win xp home but dont want to lose all my stuff any one help me please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:58 PM

Sounds like you want to do a repair install. Such leaves data files and program files intact, while requiring reinstallation of all XP critical updates issued since SP2 (assuming that the CD used for the repair install does have SP2 included).

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

10 things you can do when Windows XP won't boot - http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877-6031733.html

Louis

#3 cattch08

cattch08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:12 PM

thnx for reply but i cant do anything im locked into the safe mode screen and when i click enter it reboots then goes back to the screen left on all day and the timer runs down and then it reboots to the same screen

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:13 PM

Did you read the article in hamluis's post: 10 things you can do when Windows XP won't boot?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:43 PM

well does it restart after choosing any option directly or just wait until XP loading shows????
and when you choose safe mode it restarts too???? maybe you have errors in boot.ini or some system files missing or corrupted

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:14 PM

If you go to Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery Settings. If you go down to System failure you will see the third option Automatically restart, uncheck this and when the computer restarts it will stop at the error message and you will be able to read it. Please post exactly what it reads here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 cattch08

cattch08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:41 AM

cant get into start all i get is the safe mode screen gives me the 4 options, restart windws.go back to a good known part,safe mode.safe mode with networking, no mater what you press it reboots and comes back to the samne screen. i have also noticed that when i turn comp off the lights stay alight on the keyboard, not noticed that before. thnx guys

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:54 AM

Do you have an XP CD?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 cattch08

cattch08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:16 AM

yes i have a xp cd someone told me not to use it as it will erase all my data

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:21 AM

What does it say on the CD? Is it a Microsoft installation CD or is it a restore CD from the manufacturer of your PC?

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 cattch08

cattch08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:44 AM

i have both one isWINDOWS XP HOME EDITION includes service pack2 version 2002 i borrowed of a friend. the other one is a MEDION OPERATING SYSTEM INSTALLATION CD windows xp home edition sp2 which come with my computer. thnx

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:52 AM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

If this doesn't resolve the problem repeat the above procedure but type: fixboot

chkdsk /r locates bad sectors and recovers readable information from the hard disk.

fixboot writes a new partition boot sector to the system partition.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 cattch08

cattch08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:22 AM

thnx run chkdsk /r it went checking vol got to 9% then said vol appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems i then typed fixboot which came up with the target is C: are you sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: i typed ythen got message attempting to detect the file system new message THE BOOSECTOR IS CORRUPT FIXBOOT IS CHCKING THE FILESYSTEM TYPE.... THE SYSTEM IS USING THE NTFS FILE SYSTEM
FIXBOOT IS WRITING A NEW BOOT SECTOR THE BOOT SECTOR WAS SUCCESSFULLY WRITTEN. I typed exit but the same screen came up even after i turned off then back on

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:18 AM

If it's saying you have unrecoverable problems then unfortunately that can mean that your hard drive is on the way out.

Go through the procedure again but this time type: fixmbr.

This will repair the master boot record of the boot disk.

Another thing you can do is to go to the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive. They should have a diagnostic program that you can download to create a boot disk which will test the drive.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 cattch08

cattch08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:17 AM

still keeps looping back ti safe mode page dont know my hard drive manufacture

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users